Monday, October 26, 2009

Well...."What if?"


I'd like to share a quote from my bible study today:

"When the love of God calls forth a love for God in a heart of brokenness, it spills forth in a way no happy heart can gush. The scars on my battered shoulder no longer appeared to me as random slashes but suddenly transfigured into engravings of unexpected praise and thanksgiving.

I wouldn't trade that intense season with my Redeemer for anything in this world. I lived off of Him and His promises hour by hour. I failed Him but He neither failed me nor left me in my failure."


"What if..." We say it all the time...."What if" this and "What if" that! Well, what if it does happen to you...whatever "it" is for you- What if? Would it be so bad if it came true? Just on the other side of your greatest heartbreak could be redemption. Across the bridge of intense pain, fear and illness is courage and peace that surpasses all understanding...is it worth it to you?

"Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help." You turned my wailing into dancing; You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give You thanks forever." Psalm 30:10-12

Can you say Thank You for this trial you are walking me through, knowing that He will meet you with more than you could imagine? In mourning, can you dance for Jesus, can you praise Him in unexpected thanksgiving?

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal." Isaiah 26:3-4

Trust...do you trust God enough to not be afraid, not to worry and not to fret over the unknown circumstances you are facing in your life right now? He is your Rock, your Sustainer and He will be your Strength but you must trust Him. You must believe He is who He says He is and He will do what He says He will do! He is trustworthy!

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:26-27

Peace...can you find peace in your pain? In the midst of the storm you are facing or maybe standing in, do you have peace? True peace cannot come from within yourself, it is not a technique learned, it is a Gift which you must simply accept. Peace is the Holy Spirit that dwells within each believer. Do not be afraid-trust God and accept His peace. It's amazing that you can be in midst of absolute chaos in your life-your mind may be completely scattered-your heart may be broken pieces like a jigsaw puzzle...but you can still have peace within your soul. WOW!

How do you get that??? Trust God's character and His Word-His promises. HE LOVES YOU and He's not going anywhere! People come and go in our lives, friends may betray you or abandon you, but God will never leave you. He stands constantly before you with open arms, waiting for you to come into His fellowship which is so sweet and everlasting.

"Never will I leave you or forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

"The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you." Romans 16:20

"May the Lord Himself, who is our source of peace, give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with you all." II Thess 3:16

Satan would love nothing more than to convert you into a Grumpy Bean. How can he do that? He will begin by surrounding you with negative thoughts, negative people, negative circumstances with negative outlooks...that will get you discouraged in a hurry! A grumpy, discouraged Christian..how likely do you think he/she is going to be spreading God's love to those around them? More than likely not at all! They are too pouty, grumpy and negative. They are Guest of Honor at their own Pity party and you're invited!!

Someone asked me what kind of friends do I have and it didn't take long to answer that one. I believe that God crosses our paths with people for a moment in time, for a day, a short season in our life and He gives us lifelong relationships. I believe that each person He crosses our path with, for however long it may be, is in your life for a reason. I don't know that we intentionally pick who our friends are, I feel God makes constant divine appointments in our day/season/life. God may use one of us to reveal something to the other or it may be a mutual edification or intervention. God sees the big picture and we just don't!

However, who we choose to spend time with-that is our choice. It's important to look at our motives when choosing where our time and energy go. Do we pick to get to know this one over here because she can benefit me in some way...or maybe her over there because she is pretty high up in the chain and if I got to know her, I would have a better chance at getting the promotion. How about this girl, she's got lots of money, I bet she'd support my cause if I could get to know her better.

Opposite from our benefit, do we ignore getting to know another because they may be different than us...maybe their background is vastly different than ours was...maybe they are poor and not as well-kept as we'd like to be around. Maybe this guy over here is going trough a tough time and I just don't want to have to listen to all the crying and complaining after working all day...

For me, I am about loving the Lord. Scripture says "Bad company corrupts good character", so that is how I choose who will be allowed close to my heart. That does not mean I will not hang around with those different than me for Jesus said be in the world not of it. I think God has special lessons to teach and to be learned from each person-no matter if they are saved or not saved, rich or poor, healthy or sick. As Jesus lived here and walked here, He fellowshiped with everyone, no one is excluded from God's fellowship. We should not draw imaginary "do not cross this line" because you don't know if this person may be a divine appointment in your day.

But, think about who surrounded Him-a close group that loved Him, were loyal (almost all) to Him, respected Him and protected Him. No, they weren't perfect friends of Jesus. They didn't "get Him" many times but they were His inner circle. Their hearts were open to Him and He hand picked them to accompany His journey.

So, for me, my inner circle is a select few. I don't go around telling everyone "I love you" and telling everyone they are my very Best Friend. There are so many levels of "love" and God says "love your neighbor" and I do, but in a world that is so caught up in status and networking, I am careful with my words...what I share and who with. I admit I am pretty guarded and God is patiently allowing me opportunities to "open up" and be more vulnerable. I tend to be friend(ly) with everyone for the above mentioned reasons, old or young, but my inner circle is occupied with women who love the Lord. They are godly women of good character, not perfect women because none of us are that and if we are looking for that perfect friend, you will be waiting forever! I surround myself with women who seek Him in their life and they are eager to share this journey, in good and bad times, whether happy/sad, scarey/safe- with me. Jesus Christ is the only perfect friend you will ever have in this lifetime and in the next!! HE is my very Best Friend and I can say wholeheartedly I Love Him!!!

Who do you surround yourself with? Are you someone others would say has "good character?" It is important that we take time to look in the mirror too! Do you have a select few that you can share the journey of life with? Do you have Sisters that will speak truth to you even if it hurts? Are the women in your life god-fearing, god-loving women who are instruments pouring out more of Him into your life? If so, thank them for their sweet friendship. Praise God for this gift. If you don't, if many of your inner circle has moved or God has passed you through another season in your life, I encourage you to pray, asking God to restore or replace these once precious places in your heart and in your life.

I have four children at home and when I need a time of refreshing, I don't want to hang out with a bigger-sized whiner! Now that doesn't mean that we can't whine every now and then, there's a difference between momentary complaining about a situation you may be dealing with and having bad character-gossiper, slander, pot-stirrer/instigator. We all have bad days and even tough seasons in our lives that God has us walk through. That's what a dear friend is for-to walk with you, along side the shakey road and steady you as you go. A good friend not only picks you up when you fall, they make sure you get back on your two feet again and walk with ya a bit.

"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone." I Thess 5:14

When the "What if's" come in your life, it's those special few that tell you the truth. They are the ones that focus you on the Lord, keeping His promises fresh in your mind. God uses them as instruments of comfort and healing, wisdom and joy in our uncertainties. They remind us of who God still is...He is faithful, trustworthy, He is able to do immeasurably more than we can ever imagine! Be careful to guard your hearts and minds by protecting yourself not only from other nay-sayers, "What if-ers," but from yourself too! Get past your doubt-confess your unbelief and TRUST GOD! Stop trying to do this life in your strength-lay down all pride and human logic, knowledge and understanding down at His feet. Next time you are facing uncertainty and fear, anger or heartache...ask God to transform the scars to engravings of His mercies.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
Psalm 23:1-6

"Thank You God for leading me beside quiet waters when all I can feel is raging storms all around me. Even though what I may be walking through looks like death on the other side, I will not fear for You are near. There is nothing that You cannot handle Lord. I may not feel that I can handle one more painful moment, but You can cause my cup to overflow. When my thinking turns to the "What if's", Father would You help me capture that thought the instant I fear and cast it as far as the East is from the West?

Quiet my heart, mind and soul that it may fill with Your endless peace. I trust You God in the storm. I even praise You in the storm because I know You are still there holding me, carrying me in it. God, it's Your storm anyway and it submits under Your powerful hand. Help me to not fear and see the tidal waves but to see You hand directing me through it. Wipe away my fear tears so that I may see You clearly.

Better one day in Your presence than a lifetime without. Direct my path dear God, lead me and I will follow, as long as You lead...I will go.

Thank You for sending us instruments of grace, our friends whom You kindly give to us for such a time as this...when we fall, they are there to remind us of Your greatness and when we celebrate, they are there to praise You with us! May we dance with joy celebrating You! In one spirit, receive our praise and worship in Jesus name!

I will not want...I will not fear...I will not wonder "What if" for YOU ARE WITH ME!! If I could shout it from the mountaintop I would- YOU ARE AN AMAZING GOD WHO DOES AMAZING THINGS! My heart overflows tonight God for the great things You have done! The more I seek You, the more I Love You, amen!"

1 comment:

  1. Love this - good stuff... Praise God, thank you Lord for being bigger than any circumstance, fear, hurt, sadness, disappointment, illness... even death! The smaller I am, the bigger You are in me - so get out of the way, SELF! thanks for sharing your heart and your faith, Michele.
    -Marie-

    ReplyDelete