Thursday, May 10, 2012

"Oh no...how'd you break it?!?"


Last September 2011, as some of you may remember, I broke my elbow. It was the first bone I have ever broken and I hope it is the last bone ever broken!! Youch!!! The first thing people would say the moment they saw my sling was the obvious "Oh no...how'd you break it?!?" How could one not notice the bandages, ice packs, big blue sling hanging around my neck....there was obviously something broken. If anything, something was wrong.

I started thinking about all the things inside of us that can be broken, if anything, wrong and yet often invisible to the onlooker. What if there was a big blue sling that appeared around our neck for each broken piece inside us? I cannot tell you the amount of times my heart was broken and yet no one said to me, "Oh no...how'd you break it?" Or in the times I felt so alone, physically and emotionally depleted and yet no one asked me, "Oh no...how'd you break it?" We can feel shattered inside and yet no one can see our broken pieces.

We must ask ourselves "why?" "Why doesn't anyone see my broken pieces?"

I can only think of one reason:
1. We are choosing to hide our brokenness.

And I can think of two reasons why we would choose to hide our brokenness:
1. Pride- We don't want others to see us as less than perfect.
2. Fear- Maybe we fear the judgement of others.

And I can only think of one reason why we are being controlled by Pride and Fear:
1. We are not fully surrendering to our Lord Jesus and trusting Him to "heal" us.

Yes, it is true that God is all we need to take care of all our needs physically, emotionally and spiritually. However, He has commanded us to live in community with each other. To Encourage each other. To pray and intercede on each other's behalf. How does that happen when the person withdrawals and the need is not made known?

One of my favorite movies is Father of The Bride with Steve Martin. Do you remember how "George" went around town telling every person he encountered how much the wedding was costing him? Do remember how destructive that was and actually hurt the people around him? I am not sure that is what God meant it to look like when we confess to one another. The people he should have shared with are those who cared, loved him, were involved with the situation and those who could do something about it, especially the professionals, especially his partner in life, his wife. The entire town certainly did not need to know.

The opposite is just as destructive which I think is more common than we are willing to admit. We find ourselves silent. Maybe it is pride and fear. Maybe we are humble and minimize our pains compared to those we are aware of who are experiencing a much greater "brokenness" than us. Maybe we are finding it hard to forgive ourselves or the one who broke us? Maybe we don't even know where to begin. Maybe, just maybe, we don't feel like we have those "best" friends in our life that we can share our hurts with. I think we can all relate being in one of these places at one time in our life. Are you there now?

May I encourage you from personal experience? Trust. Trust God to know that not only does He see you but He will send you rescue. It may be through changed circumstances or people. Are you willing to tear down that wall of protection you have built up, take off that mask of perfection and trust the rescue God has sent you? I would bet that there are people God has placed in your life as the "best" for you for such a time as this. If you can't see them, ask God to show you. If He sent them, don't you think He'd want you to see them?!? Of course He would. Ask. Wait. They are near. (And they may even be professionals who are able to help you.)

We ought to be careful who we trust with our hearts. Don't be "George." We can rest assured that if God has placed these people in your life as His "hug" to you for this season of life (whether joyful or sorrowful), you can trust Him with your heart. Perfect love casts out fear. So you must first trust and love God deeply and trust these hugs sent by Him. He has a plan. Yes, you do take a chance of being betrayed, hurt, judged, rejected. And yes, you may have those things happen and you know what, God allowed it to happen to you. His grace eases the sting and shows us how to remain calm and steadfast in His love. There are lessons for us even in the midst of pain. I'd much rather walk through a hurt in the center of God's will than on my own. His grace is sufficient.

Everything we go through, good or bad, is for our good and His glory. It was through these type of "betrayals" I learned how to build some really good protective walls. And for many many years they have remained...to protect. What was inside, stayed inside. This is so destructive. Not only do you hurt yourself in so many ways (body, mind and spirit), you also reject the receiving side of God's command to love one another, live in community and intercede. Which means that broken pieces must be seen in order for these things to happen. If you are like me, we'd like to always be on the "helping friend" side but none of us are completely immune to the effects of sin or the world's temptations and stings. At one time or another, we will have something broken, if anything, wrong.

The key is trusting God with your heart. He is our Great Counselor and Mighty Physician. He is the Best Friend who loves you no matter. HE will never leave you or forsake you. There is a reason for all we go through and it is important that we are close enough to the Lord to hear His whispers telling us where to go and with who you shall go, and for how long you shall journey together, knowing that in the end, you will be blessed. It is often in the greatest pains that we receive the greatest blessings. I have been sooooo blessed by the "hugs" God has sent me over the years!!! For as long He sees fit, I will hug them and let them hug me back. I have learned how to be a better "helping friend" as I share God's love and wisdom, not my own as well being a "receiving friend" as God hugs me through others. There is more to gain than to loose. God heals. God redeems.

I am no longer a wall builder. Yes, a little wall remains but maybe it's more of a fence with a gate. I allow what's in to go out as I also allow others in. I have survived and been made stronger in the face of betrayal, hurt and pain. I dug deeper into the refuge of God where He gave healing. There is none like Him. I will take every "hug" He send with faith and hope because that is what Love is. Love casts out fear.

So, where are you broken? What if there was an outward big blue sling for every broken thing inside you right now? Has anyone asked you,"Oh no...how'd you break it?" Won't you set aside your "I can'ts"  and trust GOD with your broken pieces and His rescue and healing. He wants to hug you. You know what's even sweeter than that? Once we have seen the "best" for us, God enables them to see the broken pieces without you having to say anything!!! So when it's really tough to speak, they have already spoken on your behalf! Amen!!! Oh to have God's very "best" in our life.

"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.  
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.  
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." Proverbs 3:3-8

Father God,  Thank You Abba Daddy for caring so tenderly for me. Your "hugs" are the "best."  Help me to see those You have sent as rescue to me so that I can share my broken pieces when they come and You bring healing for them. Remove the pride and fear that keeps my wall up. God, I don't want to trust my own faulty protection. I want to trust You to give me what I need, when I need it and for as long as I need it. To everything be a season, giving and receiving. I know Lord it's always about You and never about me, so in my broken pieces, as I am weak, You are my strength and You make me strong. Thank You for the grace that mends me back together. I choose to trust You with my heart and whatever means You see fit to mold my heart to resemble Yours, I receive. I choose to trust You when my heart breaks, may it bleed for You.
Your Name is great. Your healing is perfect. And Your Love is unfathomable. To You be all glory and honor. To You I give. To You I receive. I Love You Creator and Giver of Life Abundant. I choose You. Amen.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful girl in arm cast.Did you take the cast off?Hope you feel better and dont have any pain.

    ReplyDelete