Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Please Wait...Warming Up!

Sunday I was needing to make some copies for the kiddos and I had just enough time to make them. Afterall, I only needed 8 small copies. I could do that in 15 minutes, for sure.

Trying to save time, I headed to the downstairs copier which I hardly ever use. I clicked the button and it displayed "Warming up" on the panel. Hurry, Hurry...only have a second to warm up, I've got to go!!  As it warmed up, I got my papers ready to go....but I could not find the by-pass tray for my card stock. Well, maybe it handles both types of paper through it's feeder. Nope!! Paper jam! I soooo didn't have time for THAT!

I quickly took care of the paper jam and ran upstairs to the use the copier I was familiar with and could almost work on with my eyes closed! Cardstock in the by pass tray, 8 copies please..."Please wait. Warming up..." What?!?! I HAVE been waiting and you should already be warmed up Mr Big Copy Machine!!! I was surely out of minutes now!! It was just 8 copies I needed!!!

Anger at the machine filled me, as if it was the machine's fault that it was doing what was necessary to get me what I needed. By this time, I was sure that my group had gathered and I was missing out on the prayer time, more anger but this time at myself for not just coming up here to begin with when I knew it would get the job done. I put my hands on the Big Copier and took a deep breath, angry yet knowing I was doing all I could. In that pause, I began to  feel the calmness and correction of the Holy Spirit in that moment. 
Peace be still. 
Do not sin in your anger. 
Wait on Me. 
Be patient. 
All things work together for good.

The copier had to have that warming up time to work properly. After what seemed like 300 minutes, the display changed to "Ready." At the push of the button, copies were made and my task was done, making it downstairs to the bowing of the heads for our prayer time. Gracious God.

How much more efficient would we be if we too had a "warming up" period. Each time we approached a decision or situation a display read, "Please wait. Warming up...." Wouldn't we benefit in our efficiency if we took the time to wait and warm up, waiting on God to say "Ready." 

I was reminded today of a few things:

* While trying new things can be good, there are some truths that we must stick to so we don't end up in a "jam."

* Be careful who you hold responsible for your thoughts. They are yours afterall.

* Take time to "warm up." There is a reason athletes warm up and stretch before they compete, so they don't get hurt. Take that time to pause, take a deep breath inhaling the wisdom of God into our mind and soul.

* Wait till HE says you're "Ready." We should neither rush ahead of God or drag behind.

Father God,

There is no one as long suffering as You. Your patience and endurance are infinite. To You, time has an eternal view but for us, it's ticking away. The older we get, the faster it seems to go. Until we find ourselves in Glory where there is no timeline, help us manage the time here on Earth efficiently, in our bodies that are wasting away. Help us to wait and not rush the tasks You have before us. In our "warming up" periods, we ask the Holy Spirit to give us self-control in the moments that seem to take longer than we want them to. Help us trust You and Your perfect timing for everything we face. Your ways are good. Your ways are right.
Thank You Gracious God for having the Way and the plan for everything we face today and forever. Help us learn the discipline of "warming up" in You. In Your Son's Eternally Faithful Name, we pray, amen.


Psalm 25
"To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul. 2 O my God, in You I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. 3 Indeed, none who wait for You shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. 4 Make me to know Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. 5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day long. 
6 Remember Your mercy, O LORD, and Your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. 7 Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to Your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of Your goodness, O LORD! 8 Good and upright is the LORD; therefore He instructs sinners in the way. 9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way. 10 All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. 
11 For Your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great. 12 Who is the man who fears the LORD? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. 13 His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land. 14The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and 
He makes known to them His covenant.
15 My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for He will pluck my feet out of the net. 16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. 17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. 18 Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins. 19Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me. 20 Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in You. 21 May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You. 22 Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." 

No comments:

Post a Comment