Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Getting Past the Bumps in the Road



Well, little guy has done such a great job without his training wheels, we decided to take some neighborhood bike rides and one of them was on the bayou. The bumpy bayou. As I rode behind him, I gave him navigational instructions like going around certain stumps, watch out for dips, look for trash, etc. Then, we trailed through some loose gravel and he began to stop in the middle of all the rocks and he couldn't balance and get through it. He came to a complete stop and couldn't easily get going again. As I said, "KEEP PEDALING!! You cannot stop in the middle of the bumps because your tires will loose their grip and have a hard time getting back going through it," I felt the lesson pressing into my soul for me. "Yes Michele, when you get to the bumps, keep pedaling and don't stop or you will get stuck too. You have to keep moving forward or you will slip or stop."  Oh how true. 
It had been a very difficult week for me, a bumpy month actually, and I faced lots of bumps in my road. I was moving forward as usual and then came upon some bumpy roads... and I hesitated, not sure if I could go through them, so I slowed down, lost my balance which took me a while to get back going and get past the "bumps" in my "road." 
When we are going through life and we approach the bumps, may our first instinct not be one of panic. We know we must get through them and we know we can get through them if we go carefully, without stopping! The scene from Finding Nemo comes to mind "just keep swimmin' ." With confident assurance, we must continue to navigate through the loose gravel before us and get to the other side of the mess. If we stop, 1.) we will not get where we need to go; 2.)  though it's possible, it makes it very difficult to get started in the midst of the gravel.
The next time I approach bumps in my road, I hope to keep my confidence, and sound wisdom, knowing I can get past them if I will simply hold on tight, carefully passing through, without slipping, stopping or even speeding through like a loose cannon 'cuz that can make you loose control quickly! Just keep pedalin', Just keep pedalin'!

"Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
My son, do not lose sight of these-- keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught." Proverbs 3:5-18, 37-46


Lord, keep us strong, confident and steady on the road marked with suffering. We cling to You. Lead us straight through in peace and confidence as we desire to trust You with all our heart and acknowledge You as the keeper of our path. May our foot not be caught. What Satan intends for evil, You oh Lord, intend for good. We bow our hearts, souls and minds to You, our Faithful God and Father, our Savior and Friend. Thank You for our healing and the refreshment You bring to our bones. You are worthy of all our praise and our cup overflows. Thank You for Your patience and forgiveness when we hesitate. Help our eyes stay fixed on You alone. We will follow You. Help us be faithful. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment