Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Anxiety in the Storm

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)


Today, the storm clouds have rolled in!! While the rains are a much welcomed sight and sound, however, the flooding and havoc that comes with it are not! Thankfully, I was able to wrap up my outside "doings" this morning before the clouds released their bucket loads!
As much as I was inconvenienced by the rains, the end result was worth it. God promised to care for His creation, His grounds and creatures, and of course, so much more importantly, His people. Matthew 6 tells us to "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"  
God tells us not to be anxious, because He knows that we will be anxious at the onset of storms or trials. When storms approach, while we acknowledge they are there, how we respond to them is important. We can stand in fear and worry or we can take shelter and wait. Some storms are just plain out frightening! Lightening and strong winds certainly get my heart rate going as I rush around closing windows and gathering kids and pets to the indoors safely. But once inside, I don't need to be so frazzled. I have done all I can do to prepare and simply need to wait it out. 
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:33-34 (ESV)
The times I seem to get the most anxious are when I am alone in the house, my husband may be gone or the kids are already asleep, and there I sit frazzled, on edge attempting to remain calm and alert without totally freaking out at the crack of lightening just outside my window and winds tossing my outdoor furniture around as if it was made of paper. It is scary to be alone in a Texas storm! This is also true when "other" storms come into my life that leave me drenched by "rain and strong winds" of heart and soul. Some can be seen from the "radar" but so many come without warning. All of a sudden, winds knock us over leaving us frazzled and afraid, seeking shelter through the storms. These are as real as a real storm. Winds push against me, waters surround me and my thoughts drenched by fear and worry. Where is my Shelter? How long will this storm last? 
While Jesus is our Ultimate Umbrella and Shelter, our Rescue and Refuge, He gives us spiritually strong people to wait out the storms with us under their umbrellas. What a beautiful sight to see someone coming towards you with an umbrella, rain boots, jacket and a hot cup of coffee! Their presence and help brings comfort and peace to a drenched and weary soul. What a comfort knowing you are not alone in your storm. In rare cases, when you find yourself caught in the middle of a (private) storm and no one else knows, you can be sure Our Sweet Lord and Savior is with you. He sees you. He will protect you. He will care for you. 
Next time you find yourself in a storm, look for nearby umbrellas, as you run to the shelter of His Word. His arms are open wide and His shield will be your comfort.

"For it is You who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. 
For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. 
This God--His way is perfect; the Word of the LORD proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him. 
For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?-- 
the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. 
He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.
 He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. 

You have given me the shield of your salvation, and Your right hand supported me, and Your gentleness made me great. 

You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip." Psalm 18:28-36

"And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." 
Matthew 28:20b (ESV)

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble." Philippians 4:10-14 (ESV)

Thank You Lord for your steadfast Love and Your faithfulness to shelter us, provide for us, and care for us. Thank You for the Sun, and the Storms. Help us trust You and wait. Thank You for Your Umbrella and those you send our way with umbrellas of Faith to stand with us in our storm. You are a gracious God and loving Abba Father. Bless Your Name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment