Monday, September 30, 2013

Better at reading people than books!


"And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

This personal testimony encourages my insecure heart to be one of courage. I don't consider myself one of academic smartness, rather life smartness. I tend to navigate the things of the mind, the heart, intuitions easier than things of intellectual equations. I am better at reading people than books! As I have gotten older and have a desire to learn, it is much easier to spend hours reading and studying; however the thing of which I am reading, my Bible first and foremost, then Bible studies, not for proofs of science but understanding the love of God, what faith looks like, honoring and serving the Lord and others. The very title and beginning of this blog, Where Faith Is, is still the center of my heart, as my fears and doubts bow their knee to my faith and are overcome by the Gracious Name of Jesus our Lord! 
I do not consider myself a strong leader/teacher but I am a strong Believer! I do not jump at the chance to "teach" but given a chance to "encourage" I will leap!! (Of course I say that and I have nearly thrown up before I lept!! lol) Over the years as I have sat under the teaching of incredibly gifted teachers in the public arena as well as in my very own churches or community, I am blown away at their knowledge and graceful and exciting speaking abilities. Then, I find myself wishing "why can't I be that good?" And two things come to mind, 1.) God has given them this call and they have been gifted and equipped, and 2.) They are speaking from the heart from Where their Faith Is about what they are passioned about. It is soooo obvious when a person is teaching "material" or "testimony" from the heart. 
One who teaches or encourages from their heart has a fire lit up within them. You can see it and feel it! My husband lights up the minute He starts talking about sports. My teen lights up when you start talking about trucks. My other son lights up when he is challenged in theory. My daughter lights up with dance and music. My little guy lights up at the mention of cupcakes! Me, I light up when I hear about God. Nothing fires me up more than when God gives me a front seat to His demonstration! His healing! His miracle! His overcoming! His joy! His peace! His testimony! His LOVE!!! Here we go!!! Don't get me started...heehee!!!
I sat with one of my sweet mentors recently and she shared with me her nervousness about an upcoming speaking opportunity. Immediately I laughed, You? Nervous? Come on! You are one of the strongest, most obedient women of God I have ever met. How can you be nervous?! I just don't have it down myself. God touched my heart with these scriptures. What God wants from us is not perfection or accomplishments to testify, but  for us to testify of His Love, His help, His abilities. The wisdom to share is our testimony of Christ, not "lofty speech" or "plausible words." What a relief!! I can do THAT! I love when God allows us to encourage our mentors back and you see that little smile within their heart of gladness:) Seriously, what an honor to ignite that flame of hope and belief even in the strongest of them all!
When we share what God has done in our lives, or is doing, it ought to be a "demonstration of the Spirit and of power," not our intelligence. So, I can let go of being fancy in my words and simply share from the power of my faith deep within my heart that is consumed by Him! I don't want people to hear me speak of my accomplishments in my marriage, my parenting, my friendships, my ministry. My heart for encouragement is (hopefully) a demonstration of God's amazing Love for us. I have not arrived at the other side of victory at every one of my weaknesses, but I can testify where I have found my strength, my reasons, my whys, my hows on my journey towards healings and victories! I can show you where I have been and where I am an and where I am going!! 
No one, not even the wisest person you think you know, has it all together. May we be careful as Believers not to only share what we have been healed from, but Who our Healer was. Not how we became strong, but Who is our Strength. Not how we conquered victory, but Who is our Victory! Not how we have rest in our soul, but Who is our Rest, our Peace, our Comfort.
May we testify of His glory and wisdom alone so that our "faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." If you rely on me, I will let you down. The world will let you down, but GOD, He is faithful!! Let Him be your wisdom in all things!

God help us to share, teach, encourage one another in the pure Gospel of Who You are. Help us resist the temptation to over explain, over analyze and over teach. You are more than enough! May Your Word be our Healing, our Hope, our Joy. Lead us Holy Spirit closer to the heart of God so our testimony will reflect His wisdom and Way! May our lives, our healings, our blessings, be a demonstration of Your love and not about us! To YOU be ALL glory, power, rest and strength. By faith, we come. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment