Monday, September 23, 2013

Crazy Water and Still Water...I love them BOTH!!!

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake." 


These words of Psalm 23 filled my heart, soul and mind today as I took my morning walk, praying, asking, searching and listening. And He was faithful to answer! 
Recently, I took a little Beach Day and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the beach. The waters where I live are certainly nothing to brag about, especially after encountering a slab of tar, but the cooler water, constant crashing of the waves, and salty smell were the perfect little get away for a day of refreshment and chillaxing!
I LOVE beaches, so I am eager to kick off the shoes and get my toes in the water! For a walk along the water, you can really only go in to your knees, because as you beach people know, when a wave comes, it's gonna hit ya higher! Waist deep and you're sure to get a smack in the face!!! I have discovered walking in the waves makes for a great leg work out too! Walking in sand is a lot more laborious than walking on dry ground. Beachside days, in one sense, is relaxing and yet at the same time kicks the adrenaline up a little with a little fun, hard work and a little fear. The waves are unpredictable in strength and size and they can carry you further than you planned to go. I am constantly monitoring the kids yelling, "Come back this way!!! You've gone too far!"  

Evidently the storm in Mexico was causing greater pressures in our winds and waters which caused thundering waves that pounded our Texas shore. Blankets holding snacks and shoes had to be moved several times further up the sand as the waves tossed up sudden waves into the dry spots, so I thought they were anyway! I ended up having to keep an eye on the waves to make sure they didn't invade my things, making wet what was to be dry and...those sneaky waves can carry off things like flip flops, toys, glasses, etc! It was relaxing, but it was also work. We will call it High Maintenance  Waters. Lakes on the otherhand, Still Water!! NICE!!! It's just a different kind of rest.

Then, there was today, walking by my bayou. How still this water was. How lush the grass that lined it's banks. Turtles sunbathing along the logs would quickly slip into the water causing a small ripple of the water for a few short seconds, but quickly, the stillness resumed. My Granny Beagle at the beach was jumping waves, running in and out. Here, she was gliding in the water and would slip out and just walk calmly along the bank. It was just as a relaxing and peaceful, but less stressful.
I was certainly NOT thinking of Psalm 23 at THE BEACH!!! But today, God prompted me to the old familiar Psalm 23 verses...The Lord is my Shepherd...He makes me lie down in green pastures. Not dry ones. Not sandy ones, but green ones. That tells me there is nourishment present and comfort provided as I lay on the ground. He leads me beside still waters. I can't help but wonder if it's because it's just less stressful...you don't have to worry about being overcome by waves, or being carried away!! He restores my soul! How would that happen if I am constantly having to check on my stuff that it hasn't been saturated or swept away or blown away!?!  Hallelujah for still waters!!!

When we are in the midst of what resembles standing out in the ocean, waist deep, sand in our eyes and stuff flying in the air, may we ask God to bring us out of the unpredictable waters and lie us down in the green pastures, beside the still, predictable waters.



 God, You are our Peace and our Rest. Thank You for the many ways You bless us with rest. I could sit for days Lord, amazed at the wonder of Your creation on the banks of a lake, river, or stream equally as I could at any beach's shoreline! I LOVE being in Your waters. God, when life feels out of control and we feel ourselves being knocked around, sand in our eyes, salty taste in our mouth, please draw us out and into Your still waters and green pastures! Thank You Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father! You really are an amazing and practical God!! Thank You for Your Love, Protection, Provision and Care, amen!!!   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment