Saturday, August 10, 2013

Where are you? Shore, Boat or Water?

"Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds. And after He had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." And Peter answered Him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me! Jesus immediately reached out His hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."  Matthew 14:22-33

It's a very familiar Bible testimony. Many sermons have been preached from this passage. While there are numerous applications and lessons to be learned, God brought this back to mind as I visited with a friend who was struggling with  anxiety: her strength and courage, and the lack of it. Many of us struggle with anxiety and it can be paralyzing. Fear can nearly suffocate us. This was me for many years, until God's healing power suffocated my fear. It drowned it out and it was no more! AMEN!!!
As I was listening to my friend, I was trying to understand where she was in her walk of faith. Where was she in her fear? How do I encourage her to the next step? God brought this passage to my mind and He showed me the steps between courage, trust and fear.
Here are the different places you can be:
1. Those standing on the shore looking at the boat, wanting to get on it. Hope
2. Those on the boat. Faith
3. Those who step out of the boat. Trust
4. Those who continue to walk after the fall. Boldness.
Disclaimer: I am not a therapist or trained professional!!! I can only share from my personal experience and those shared with me. Just sayin'
Now we can continue (lol)...as I stand on this side of healing from the bondage of fear and anxiety, I can see the different places I have been. I have to be careful to not take steps backwards. I can clearly see that I am on the shore or maybe even in the boat in certain things while there are things in my life that are all about persevering boldness. Many people stand there on the shore wishing and hoping and wanting to get on the boat yet they are too afraid. Fear keeps their feet dry. What a victory when you step out in faith and finally get in the boat! And probably the hardest part is trusting the call to get out of the boat and walk! It takes guts, a Holy Courageous Confidence, to walk, to step out there and trust that Jesus really is there. Do you believe it? Do you trust Him? Then, some of us have trusted and made that declaration to walk out to Him! We have an eternal hope that is placed in Saving Grace, we have faith assured through walking with Him and we trust the Promises of a faithful God and we are bold enough to keep on walking even after we trip and fall, We hold onto His helping hands and boldly take another step, and another, and another.
Where are you? What is your next move? If you know a friend who feels "stuck," Can you see where they are and challenge them to hope, believe, trust or grow in Holy Courageous Confidence? We are each somewhere! May we join together as we encourage each other and intercede for one another on our walk towards Jesus!!! There is nothing better than getting your feet wet!!!! Take the time to go back to the shore and help others get on the boat and into the Water!!!

 
 
Thank You Lord Jesus for being faithful when I am weak. Thank You for Your saving Grace that helps me get in the boat and walk on water with You! You are an amazing God! All glory, honor and praise belong to You! Thank You Father God for those You have placed in my life as Captains of the boats, Lifeguards on the shores, who help me, guide me, teach me, instruct me, mentor me and show me how I can do all things through You! Bless them for their servants hearts and may their passions be flamed in You and caught by many more to be set as a city on a hill, shining a beacon light for You!! Amen.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment