Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Ya think ya know it all, until....

I was talking with a dear friend today and the comment was made, "You think you know it all until you have to take a test. Testing proves what ya really know." God brought it back to mind this evening and He "tested" my thoughts.
A "test." It stirs up anticipation and even more anxiety just at the mention of this little 4 letter word. And yet, testing is a part of life. Before you buy a car from a dealer, you want to "test drive" it before you place your most valuable treasures within it's carriage. Teachers want to "test" their students to find out whether the knowledge given was actually learned. Customers want to "taste test" foods so they can find out if they want more of a product. We "test" our children to see if they are ready for the next step in trust or responsibility.
And yet, when we read verses like Exodus 16:4, "Then the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day's portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my law or not." and 1 Peter 4:12, "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." , we panic. It's one thing to be the one giving the test and a whole other thing to be the one given a test. I don't know about you but I am certainly more anxious than I am anticipating in the face of a test. I imagine most people get nervous about taking a test...having to prove oneself...what if I fail? What if I am wrong? Will they think I am stupid or ignorant? What if I am not as great as I think I am? And then when God says He will test us, there's a Holy-fear-humbling kind of panic...what if I fail...will it ever end...what if I am not as strong as I think I am....what if others see my lack of...will God give up on me...should I quit?
James 1: 2-3 says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." We want steadfastness but honestly, we want it given not earned by way of trial and yet God says that it is in the "testing of your faith" that you acquire steadfastness. Jesus understands the plea of "if there's any other way, please Lord." Our Sovereign Lord hears our pleas and know what we need. As a Parent to His Child and a Teacher to His Student, He will teach us then test us to see if we have actually learned from the knowledge given and are ready for the next step. 
Testing is not easy and it in fact can be very painful, pushing us to what feels like the end of oneself. One thing for sure, it reveals our limits, what we know and what we can handle. It's always a humbling reminder of how much we need the mercy and grace of our loving God. Without Him, I would certainly see my limit and give up. December 2008 was that very difficult season of testing for me and thanks to the precious people God brought into my life, they cheered me on in my faith, to the completion of that long and difficult test. It was a exhausting trial and without their steadfastness to stand with me, I would have certainly given up.
Sure, I have "meet trials of various kinds" since then. Some are small, quick tests while others are exhausting and seem never-ending. And yet, to every season of growth, there are beginnings and ends. They come as refining fires in every single area of our life. Our spirit's health is not separate from our relational or physical life. The Spirit living within me is a constant presence and guide therefore it affects all of me-my heart, mind, soul and body. It is up to me to prove that to be true as I believe, trust, surrender and devote my life to Him. (Thank you Pastor Nathan for this reminder Sunday.)
Sanctification tells us it's a never-ending process of one refining fiery test to the next. Steadfastness of faith will one day usher us to the Gates of Glory with Hallelujiah hands lifted high to our Teacher, Abba Father and Lord where we will be great in anticipation and void of anxiety.
So, next time you face a test, before you panic, won't you "consider it a joy, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness" and remember that "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12 Embrace the opportunity to grow in your faith next time you face a trial and do not panic! Believe, Trust, Surrender, Devote yourself to remaining steadfast, standing at the Cross of Victory!!!
And by the way, if you have completed a recent test, won't you ask God to give you the opportunity to help another who is about to go through theirs. Don't you know they could use the encouragement. Stand by them faithfully and don't let them quit!!! Remind them of who God is and who they are in Him and this opportunity to grow in faith. 
A good Teacher cares enough to test His Students.
A good Father blesses His obedient Child. 
Are you learning? Are you trusting? Are you surrendering? Are you devoted?
Be strong. Be faithful. Be Blessed.

Father God, "Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind." Psalm 26:1-2 Till The Day of Completion, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment