Friday, November 2, 2012

Uphill vs Downhill

Imagine you are out riding your bike and then you notice in the distance a slight change in the elevation and it's taking you UPHILL? For the moment it seems thrilling as you continue pedaling along and begin the climb UPHILL...only to be at a near stop half way up!! You don't have momentum to get up top the topside. So, you stop to catch your breath and then as you push off to go, you find yourself actually sliding backwards. I wish I hadn't of stopped!!!! Now, I am not only back where I started but I'm exhausted and still need to find the energy to get UP that HILL!! The Good News is I now know what I need to do to get over that hill to the other side!! Here I go...digging deep...pushing off...digging deeper...pushing through the pain...seeing the top!!!! At the top!!!! Yay!! Now, to coast downhill and catch my breath. What a feeling of freedom to now be flying DOWNHILL!! (The only time I think the phase "headed downhill" is a good one~LOL!) (I also can't help but thinking about my 15 year old as he learns how to drive his manuel-drive Jeep uphill!!! We certainly avoid whatever hills we can!! LOL!!!)

What was the key to getting UPHILL? Awareness. Awareness that there was a hill coming. Awareness that momentum was necessary to get up there. Awareness that it will take extra effort but the other side will be one of freedom. Do not stop...it's much harder to keep going if you stop. You may just have to dig deep and start over, taking with you the Good News of The Way to get to the other side.

We don't know what our future holds. "Hills" for us can be right around the corner while sometimes they can be seen in the distance. What we need is the awareness that "hills" will come and since we don't always know when they will be upon us, we must keep our momentum. If we are idling along, odds are we won't make it up that hill. We need to dig deep, daily, consistently, always ready to get up and over those "hills." Some may be higher than others, and some may be enough to jump over, but one thing is for sure, you must be ready!

Are you gaining momentum today for your next "hill?" What are you doing today to be ready? How are you "digging deep?" 

Or are you stopped on your "hill," sliding backwards? How can you "dig deep" and gain that momentum to get UPHILL?

No matter who you are, how long you have been a Believer in Jesus Christ, we ALL need our Daily Bread. We ALL need to find our momentum,  that "digging deep," into The Lord as we find strength and endurance up and over our "hills." Taking with us The Good News that God has gone before us and knowing we can get over that 'hill" infront of us if we trust Him and don't stop!!!

Here are some ways I personally am digging deep in this season in my life...hope it encourages you to find how God would prompt you to dig deep to get up your "hills."

 * Start before my feet hit floor and End my day in prayer...adoration, confession, intercession for self/others, protection. When you "pray without ceasing", it is constant communication throughout the day, so here and there, I'm asking for awareness. But there are also times where it is necessary to stop and pray as the Holy Spirit leads...especially in warfare.

  * Being in The Word DAILY is crucial!! "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" Hebrews 4:12...on my own, I am weak!

  * Accountability. I LOVE women's bible studies. Not only is there teaching from those who have been gifted with teaching the wisdom of the Word, but you also find accountability within the group. Love that!! You won't likely find yourself idling by...as "iron sharpens iron" you find that momenteum.

  * I cannot stop! It is obvious if I miss a study day or if I go with how I am feeling, cuz there are plenty of days I feel like being idle. Digging deep is not easy. It takes strength and endurance which on my own, I don't have. I will slide back. Thankful that when I do slide back, I can repent and start again, knowing The Good News!!

  * Remembering that I am not alone on the "hills." Everyone has hills. Also, I cannot compare or whine about who's hill is greater or lesser. I need to dig deep, gain my own momentum and quit worrying about everyone else. I am encouraged when I see others around me digging deep to get up their "hill" and that pushes me to dig deeper too!

  * Do not fear!!! Be aware of idling and idoling!! Be ready to battle! Be in the Word. Be aware of "elevation" changes. Don't fear or grow weary about the climb up. If you have already gained momentum, you will get up it quicker and with less pain. Get up. Get over. Enjoy the freedom headed down on the other side.

"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, 
encourage the fainthearted, 
help the weak, 
be patient with them all." I Thess 5:14

Friend, your first hill needs to be the Hill of Calvary. God loved you so much, He knows the hills you need to get over, and He made a way for you through the Gift of His Son. Get yourself up on that Hill and get the gift of Life. See the Blood that He dug so deep. Then, find yourself on the other side of that Hill where Freedom is. He is alive and risen so that you may have life abundantly! There is Hope. There is Peace. There is Strength. There is Endurance.

Good News is found Uphill and Freedom is found Downhill!






No comments:

Post a Comment