Monday, February 9, 2015

Life is Sweeter in 3s

As I mentioned in my last blog post, several years back, in 2009, my cardiologist said I needed to walk 5 times a week to strengthen my heart. At the time, I was suffering with panic attacks and my resting heart rate was usually 80-90bpm. You can imagine it didn't take much walking to get the numbers up to 115-125bpm. A walk up my own stairs at home, vacuuming my house, even grocery shopping kept my heart pumping at work out levels. I lived every day out-of-breath for a while. All the while, attempting to homeschool 4 kiddos ages 3-13yrs old. I have shared as part of my testimony that while yes, I was in a stressful season of life as a younger Mom as my Doctor assessed as my "problem," God used this time of physical stress to reveal to me my spiritual and emotional distress. I was a perfect candidate for a divine intervention!! (We all are!) 
My cardiologist prescribed heart medication for me to help slow the rate down while I did my part to "chill." 90 days later, I had myself weaned off of it. I just don't like taking pills if I don't have to. My body had responded well to the cardio workouts, cutting out all sugars and caffeines and learning to be still in my body, mind and spirit. (Or you could say God began pruning and replanting!) Little by little my heart grew stronger.
Walking was somewhat boring for me in the beginning. Once I got into a routine and created interesting playlists to distract me from boredom, walking got easier and I developed the habit and routine of going. But, like many things in life, it got boring again and I cheated myself. It's funny how much more we are capable of when we have someone we are accountable to or that actually does it with us! Much like life~ it is sweeter shared! 
Answered prayer! Life got sweeter!! God blessed me soon after with an awesome walking "team" in Texas. I say Team...the Lord was the 3rd Member. "And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12 (ESV) Working out with a buddy is way more fun, you go further than you think you can and the accountability keeps you from being lazy or giving up. We walked, laughed, worked on memory verses, talked about life, church, family, the world, shopping, she even let me stop and take pictures and I even let her stop to pick berries!!! You name it, we probably talked about it and even prayed about it! It was a sweet time of sharing and caring. These are rare friends to have! I know my heart grew stronger because of her love for me and our threefold cord will never be broken. I developed more and grew more muscles than the physical ones. I had a spiritual giant taking me for a walk and she pushed me pretty good! (Click here for a blog I wrote about mentorship/accountability. You just might see a picture of some of my Texas Teams!) 
When God called us to move out of state, one of the many things I knew I would miss was having a special "walking buddy" to share life with (physically, emotionally and spiritually) but it was going to be okay. I had my family and my Jesus to "walk" life with here in our new home. 
Physically:I figured I would be swimming in the ocean every day and there get my exercise. Not so. Thank you to Mr Jellyfish and his posse of thousands and to Mr Shark and his crew. We were in the water a lot but with such dense salt water, swimming and floating are effortless and you don't swim laps in the ocean. You float along like a fellow moon jelly wherever the tide takes you! I resigned to walking and riding my bike alone or with the kids on the occasions they wanted to. But still, boring and lazy was I. 
Emotionally: I had much love from Texas to satisfy my heart's need for fellowship and support here. 
Spiritually: Jesus, my all in all was all I figured I needed.
But God, He knew deep down I wished for a special sweet friend even though I said I was okay not having one or two here. I mean really, they are soooo rare to find and I feel like God has blessed me with a few precious ones already, how could He...why would He...gift me another rare one or two here...all the way in The Keys?!? Only God...Because He loves me so, and no other reason. He knew what I needed to accomplish all He had planned for me here. Just as He blessed my socks off with a sweet Texas team, He blessed me again with a sweet Florida team! Life has gotten even sweeter!! 
Along with a few precious sweet friends He has gifted me here, He also gave me an extra special dose of goodness in a "walking buddy" here. I know, I can't believe it either! We have certainly embraced living life, walking (life) together every path we find...especially ones that lead to coffee or Jesus! She is a hilarious, creative, very like-minded, determined, caring, honest, joy and sorrow sharing, same season of life, iron sharpening woman. We are so similar in our hearts and spirits that only God could have so perfectly matched us up to be on a team with Him! Together, we both marked completing a 5K off our individual Bucket Lists! (Click here to read my post about my Florida Team, what accountability/mentorship/shared walks look like, and our 5K accomplishment!)  
Walking our Hearts
It is crazy how much faster time goes. (Yesterday, I walked 45minutes and it felt...like...hours.) Together,  we equally share, care and offer prayer however God leads! We talk about every thing there is to talk about under the Son. From surface to spiritual, we walk our hearts! (See picture to the left.) And we laugh...a lot! Laughter is always a part of our times together and it is true...joy-filled laughing out loud is a good medicine for the heart and soul! "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22 (ESV) When you spit out your water from laughing so hard, and you realize your cheeks have muscles to them...you have been given a dose of pure goodness!! What a rare, wonderful blessing beyond measure! I may leave the house with a spirit crushed that morning and after our walk, my spirit is refreshed, in under an hour! With God, anything is possible!! 
"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:19-20
Here is a Warning~There will be days like today for us, where schedules don't line up or the weather floods us off the roads, but I must still have the discipline to go on my own time. Accountability is a heart commitment more than it is a physical commitment. We can be accountable to each other for any number of things in life from addictions, attitudes, worry, controlling our time or tongues, providing for our family, Bible study, eating habits, physical fitness, etc, regardless if we are physically together. With the technology we are so blessed with these days, staying connected to each other despite the oceans between us is easy. It's the sweet cherry on top when you have a shared desire for accountability and you get to do it together as often as possible. Encouragement and building one another up has no boundaries! It can be done any time, for any one, any where in many a way!! So, no excuses!
I share this with you in hopes to encourage you, that you too will ask God for your own team to walk life with if you don't already have one! Yes, you can walk alone and some days we ought to, but how much sweeter together!! We are meant to live and function together as The Body of Christ, a Family. Whether or not your feet ever hit the trails, a shared walk is one of the most beautiful gifts you can receive from living in community. When we take time from our busy schedules to get to know each other well, talk shallow surface stuff to deep spiritual stuff....sharing tears of joy or sorrow together....and most importantly, when we listen to the heart of another and walk to the Cross with them in prayer, you will reap a bountiful harvest of blessings so numerous, it will be nearly impossible to count them all. Not impossible, but nearly! Nothing is impossible for Him! 
Want a sweeter life? Go walk your heart out!!


"For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with Him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it." 1 Thessalonians 5:9-24

No comments:

Post a Comment