Monday, February 9, 2015

Staying Hydrated

Am I the only one who just can't seem to drink my required amount of water every day?!? I have struggled for years with this issue. I just don't wake up in the morning and crave a cup of water. My thirst is quenched first thing in the morning with a hot cup of coffee and throughout the day with my southern brewed iced tea. Can't you hear the justification in that statement?! (heehee)
During the day, I have to intentionally discipline myself to pour a cup of water instead of a cup of tea. Sweet Southern Iced Tea with a squeeze of lemon runs through my Texas veins. I have read every article about the importance and benefits of consuming water and I know the facts. You would think it has sunk into my brain enough times to brainwash me to drink more water! But...it hasn't. It is something I force myself to do.
However, I have realized that when I am working out, I must have water, desperately! 
When my Cross Country son is racing, the vendors place water stations along the course for the runners to quench their thirst. While he doesn't always drink the water, he swishes it to recalibrate the fluid in his mouth and spits it out the extra. I am certainly not a cross country runner, or walker for that matter, but I have begun walking in the mornings each week and don't ya know, the very thing I do as soon as my workout is finished, is reach for my water. 
If the sun is blazing or the wind is whipping, drying out my mouth, I carry the water bottle with me so I can sip on it. Following each work out, like a deer in the dessert, I gulp down the water and refill it as soon as I get home. Funny, I wasn't thirsty before my work out, but after...parched! Throughout the day, I find myself continually refilling my cup and sipping on the refreshing purified essence of satisfaction. But this is only on days I work out. Every other day, it's coffee, tea and hopefully a little bit of water. 
Years ago when I struggled with stressed out adrenals during a stressful season in my life, my cardiologist suggested I work out 5 days a week for an hour or two each time. Well, I certainly didn't have the time to do that! I did however start with 3 days a week. After a couple of weeks, I noticed a sort of relief inside my body as I worked out my heart. Walking relaxed me on the inside and my heart began a restfulness and strength to it. I felt better. I was also drinking much more water and eating healthier meals.
Walking and talking with the Lord this morning, I realize the same truths are true spiritually. Just as in our physical sense, the more we work out, the thirstier we become. The harder the trail-trial, the more we work out and the thirstier we become with every passing mile. "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God." Psalm 42:1 (ESV) I can soooo relate. The harder my "path," the greater my pant for Water. 
The benefits of drinking Water daily are numerous. God's Word is a nourishment to both body and spirit. John 4:13-14 (ESV) says, "Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." If we would discipline ourselves to the proper daily intake of Water, we will minimize the risk of becoming severely dehydrated. Our Body functions better when it is kept well hydrated. Walking dehydrated (physically or spiritually) is painful, laborious and dangerous. We are better able to maintain a difficult or long walk when we have adequate Water intake before we start out. It nourishes us.

If you find yourself thirsty, I encourage you to recalibrate your dryness and daily drink of the Source of Living Water that nourishes your soul while it also nourishes The Body. Daily hydrate your heart and soul in The Word and you will feel the difference. Nothing else satisfies. And when the time comes for you to walk the trial-trails, take The Water with you to sip on as you walk and continually refill your cup throughout the day. Stay Hydrated with Water! 
And a word of advice: it's much easier to walk with a friend than alone! So, grab a friend and DRINK UP the Water that supplies all you need and take a walk!

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh faints for You, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

 So I have looked upon You in the sanctuary, beholding Your power and glory.

 Because Your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise You. 

So I will bless You as long as I live; in Your name I will lift up my hands. 
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise You with joyful lips,

 when I remember You upon my bed, and meditate on You in the watches of the night;

 for You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I will sing for joy. 

My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:1-8


No comments:

Post a Comment