Wednesday, February 11, 2015

6 month review

Half way...we are half way through our year of adventure. WOW!!! I can hear the pages of the calendar flip rapidly with the passing of each day. It's almost as if the deep gonging of Father Time marks every passing hour now. 6 months flew past! So, I have to ask myself, and ultimately The Lord, Have I accomplished so far what You purposed me to? and What is left that I need to do?
We know beyond a shadow of a doubt The Lord called us here allowing us to live out a desire deep in our hearts to experience an adventure as a family outside of our hometown of Houston, as well as to live on intentional mission for Him. We just never had the guts to do it before. We didn't make the time to commit it to serious prayer over the years either. No wonder we didn't do this earlier. Honestly, I am not sure we would have had the faith to go if He would have told us to go. A crowded schedule, busy minds and divided hearts, kept us from seeking and asking what His plan and His way was for us. We lived like so many do, one day at a time, status quo, keeping our head above water, the way we wanted to, assuming we were on a continuous path in the same direction and yet fearful (and honestly, lazy) to live how we really wanted to. 
Of course, God's timing is always perfect. Maybe He reigned in our desires till it was time for us to be ready. As we look back over the last few years, we can see God's hand preparing us and equipping us to step out on faith and say Yes to a move that would cause us to rely heavily on trusting Him with every detail. Leaving wasn't easy and neither will it be leaving here.
While the move has been a great adventure, we have also been on mission. God made it very clear that this was a purposeful move. We needed an uprooting to a place we could experience pruning and new growth, reconnecting to the Lord individually and as a family, and to each other. A sabbatical of sorts. Our busy, disconnected life was tearing our family's core to pieces. Being here on mission has re-focused us, re-centered us and God has drawn us back to a whole. We are stronger now. 
No, it hasn't been perfect. We have not lived every day as perfectly as we dreamed we would. After 6 months, my journals for the kids still sit in the box, I haven't opened my spanish workbook once, I am not a master chef, my house is not Pinterest picture worthy, my kids don't choose family devotional time over tv or game time, my marriage is not without selfishness or disagreements and my picture taking skills remain "pretty good"....but....God has been faithful to bless, give, take, correct, allow, teach, heal, restore, prune, bind together His children who desperately are seeking, asking and knocking on His door. I know we have missed opportunities but I have also learned over the years that God's ways are not mine and neither are my thoughts like His. I rest and rely on the grace of my God knowing He sees our heart's desire to live a life on mission for His purpose alone as we love Him and love one another.
"Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another,agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11

I pray the remainder of our days here are full of His purpose as we seek to follow after Him, accomplishing what it is HE has for us individually and as a family, and to those He has placed us in community with. 

For those of you personally following our journey, here are our personal updates:
Josh: has been given an opportunity to teach his favorite group of lessons called the Basic Bible Truths on Wednesday nights. He is excited to teach these 6 week lessons again. He continues to work hard on his sales from the home office. He is intentional in taking time to engage with each of the 4 kids. If there is something interesting, educational or fun to do in our local community he makes plans for us to do it. I am glad he does otherwise we would spend all our days floating on the water or sitting at home, but what's so wrong with that!?! LOL. He has remained committed to leading our family spiritually and physically. He has enjoyed running with the older boys, although the 2 younger ones have done their best to keep up! He loves me well and thinks more of me than I think of me.

Big Boy: My Senior has done well with his Cross Country, placing 24th in State for 2A. He is now training for track and is playing on the Varsity baseball team. He is trying to figure out exactly where he wants to attend college and we are waiting to see if any Florida scholarships appear. He has become an amazing spear fisherman bringing home dinner every week. He absolutely loves being on the water. As often as he can, he takes the boat out.

Big Boy #2: has played football and tennis and made lots of friends. I think he knows everyone now. He had hoped for a golf team but they didn't have one this year. He has maintained a high GPA with his AP classes. He has also just earned his Learner's Permit!

Princess: she loves her teachers and school, especially GLEE Club. Singing,acting and dancing are her passions. She is such a prayer warrior and keeps our family focused every morning before school reminding us to do our devos and initiating the prayer time in the car on the way to school for all the kiddos. She loves church even though she misses our Houston Church and her friends there often. She loves to read, run, play, dance, sing, worship, write songs, and has even blogged a few of her own posts.

Little Guy: has adapted well as the youngest. This week he begins coach pitch baseball. He is so excited! Academically he is excelling and has a wonderful teacher and has made friends easily here. He loves being here but he also misses the Houston house's trampoline and pool, and his friends. Can't blame him!

As for me: it is God's overwhelming grace and beauty that fills my heart. God has been beyond generous in His protections and provisions. He has shown Himself in new ways and that is always exciting. He led us to a wonderful church family that has embraced us and welcomed us from day one. The kids love their children and youth ministry and Josh and I have enjoyed the men and women's Bible studies and meeting new people. I miss my Houston family and friends but through God's abundant grace, I have been blessed with meeting wonderful people here and developing what will sure to be forever friendships. 
I continue to ask God to help me be the person, wife, mother and friend He has called me to be, as I strive to honor Him in how I love and serve my family, others and most importantly...Him! He shares His "hearts" for me even here! I love love love the intentional time with the family. My favorite things are sunset dinners at our local beach and time on the boat snorkeling. 
My playtime with the camera has been so fun! Of course, it's always been fun! I continue my quest to learn better health for myself and my family, learning new recipes (how to cook fish!! and make salsa which we miss), exercising, drinking more water, playing more outdoors (kayaking, swimming, tennis, walking, biking). 
Spiritually: hard to imagine learning more but the more I study the more I realize I don't know...however the more I get to know Him, the more I really know Him! I pray the same prayer for my kids today as I did when God placed them in my heart- for God to reveal Himself to them daily, for them to fall deeply in love with Him, to fear Him more than man, to desire to live a God honoring and purposed life according to His plan. And last but not least, I know God has called me to writing for His glory, so I am taking one step at a time following His lead, trusting Him by faith, certainly I can do nothing on my own. Yes, I would love to publish a devotional or two that everyone thinks I should publish, so I wait for God to show me exactly how and when. There are solo many choices and ways to do it and I am overwhelmed and honestly not all that confident in my writing skills or my message. Enough about me.

I am so thankful and honored that you have stopped by my blog and spent a few minutes of your valuable time with me here. This blog has given me the opportunity to share my life journey with many of you whom live across the miles.
Blogging was one of the first tools God gave me to learn and practice being bold in my walk and talk of faith while discovering more of who I am along the way. I am still shy at the core of my heart, but He has helped me strengthen my voice for Him! I definitely make a little more joyful noise than years past! How I pray He would be pleased.
That's it for my time of review. It's been 6 months of sooooo much learning, growing, experiencing...I could fill in so much more but this will be all for now! Thank you to those who continue to pray for us!! His Peace and Purpose have been amazing! Hugs and Blessings, Michele

Here are some highlight pictures:
































2 comments:

  1. Thank you lovely lady. You write and inspire beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I have always looked at you as the perfect family.
    You have been a blessing to me in so many ways.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete