Thursday, January 8, 2015

Muscle Memory

The day before having to go back to school after the Christmas break, my daughter was going through her pink backpack to get her things in order for the new Spring semester and she sighed, "Mom, I think I forgot how to do my math." Doing my best not to give the "I Told You So" speech, I gently reminder her this was the very reason I had encouraged all the kids over the break to go through the folders and review. In Summers' past I have been accused of  "ruining" (according to the kids) their summer days by "forcing" them to do school work twice a week. It was really tough on them to do the 10 math problems a week and read for 20 minutes a day. It was just horrible. (Insert sarcastic tone.)
Our brains and muscles need repetition and reminders. It's that muscle memory that helps athletes quicken their positions and get their corresponding reactions accurately in a moment's notice. Learning new material through various ways (visual, audio, by touch, etc) is beneficial for all of our different learning styles but it is the repetition and studying of it that makes it stick. So, when test time comes, after a quick deep breath, we can confidently give our answer. We have greater confidence to accomplish a task, be it academic or athletic, when we know we have prepared for it best we knew how. Imagine taking a test you haven't studied for. Imagine a football player walking over to the tennis courts to play their game instead of his. Not smart. 
And yet, we often do the same thing in life....We don't prepare for the task ahead of us. We end up wishing our life away "I wish I would have (blank) so I could.."..."If only I would have (blank), this would have turned out better." Wishing only produces future regrets. Planning produces production. If we want results for whatever it is, maybe loosing weight, investing financially, healthy meal planning, learning a new skill, caring for our family, deepening a relationship, meeting new sales goals, getting help for a personal addiction...we must have a goal and a plan, then we need to take action and do it. Otherwise, we have only created a Wish List, and not a To Do List. 
Sometimes, the task ahead of us is something we can't plan for like an illness, injury, unemployment, devastation, crisis, a betrayal, market crash. This is the life test in which we must rely on our muscle memory. What will our first response be-physically, emotionally and spiritually when "suddenly" happens? Will we freeze or be frazzled or totally freak out?
As a Believer, that is why it is so important for us to be in God's Word and fellowship daily. Our hearts, souls and minds need to be committed to knowing, believing and applying God's Promises and Truths. Philippians 4:8 gives us help for our thoughts keeping our minds focused on goodness and hope, Romans 8:28 reminds us He is working, Colossians 1:17 assures us He holds everything together. There are so many! 
Just as in our human relationships, the more time you spend with the person, the better you know them. Time with someone allows you to see their heart lived out beyond their words. You can know who they are and not just who they say they are. Same with God. The more time you spend fellowshiping with Him, the more you see and know His heart. Head knowledge of hope becomes heart affirmations and truth. 
We must meditate on His Word, taking time daily to nurture the relationship with Him and not only praise Him and thank Him for His faithfulness and Love, but as we bring our requests to Him, may we also be still and listen. Like athletes in training, our muscles need recovery time as much as they need to be worked out.   
In this world, we will chase after glimmers of hope but when we chase after The Word, we have Hope. With Christ at The Center, we are refreshed, renewed and reminded how great our God is. We need to know the Truth, because it is the Truth that will set us free and enable us to accomplish what has been placed before us. When a trial comes, it will be the muscle memory of our hearts, minds and souls, that sustains us and gives us confidence to keep standing firm in our faith, moving us forward and not cratering under the pressure. We can be caught like a deer in the headlights. But, if we are prepared, our hearts and minds strengthen us with Truth...God is near, He will never leave you or forsake you, He is before all things and holds all things together, He has a plan to prosper you and not harm you, He is above all things and nothing can separate you from His love, You are more than a conquerer, He is able to do exceedingly more than you can think or imagine, if you have the faith of a mustard seed, you can move mountains in His name. And on and on our muscles flex and stretch to lengths we never thought possible.
For every trial or crisis I have faced in my own life, I am continually amazed at the graciousness of God. How grateful I am for the Holy Spirit who dwells in me who intercedes on my behalf when I am like that deer caught in the headlights and find myself frozen, unprepared for what I am facing. When one of my greatest crisis (there have been more than just a few) hit, I wasn't prepared and I froze. I stood aimlessly and was crushed, not knowing what to do or where to go. How I regret not having the muscle memory of faith, trust, wisdom, knowledge and steadfastness. Had I been more deeply rooted, and if I had known what I know now of God's power, I would have stood with greater confidence in my battle and fought harder, stood taller, endured longer and believed He was working out something better, for my good and His glory. But, I didn't. I wasn't prepared.
It took a few God-strong women as God's hands and feet, to come alongside me, and teach me as they interceded for me. They had muscle memory and experience I didn't have but I had always wished for. I wanted to be strong and courageous. I wanted to be a warrior woman who never failed or cratered under the weight of the world. I wanted to sing praises even if my heart and mind were shattered. I wanted my heart to bleed for the things of God even if it was scared or broken. But, I hadn't prepared or disciplined myself for it. My Wish List never turned into my To Do List. 
I am so thankful He leads me when I am lost towards paths of righteousness, beside the still waters. He comforts me and reminds me I am not alone when I am surrounded by the darkness of my pit. He reminds me that I can do all things with Him because He is my strength when I have collapsed. He reminds me there is a plan and that He is greater than any opposition I will ever face as I stare into the face of the enemy. I am so thankful for His compassion and grace. He stands by me and equips me for the battles I know are coming and He carries me through the ones I don't. When life floods my soul, He is my rescue. When I don't know what the answer is, He reminds me He IS The Answer. He is a faithful God. Oh how I want to return the blessing of being faithful back.
It is my heart's greatest "wish"  to love Him because He first loved me. If I want to actually do it, I must be intentional and have a plan and be diligent to actively seek after Him, growing in faithfulness, not wishing it, but actually planning, preparing, and doing it! If I am not disciplined, I will not develop my spiritual muscles that one day, will carry me through a place I can't think straight. I will find myself aimlessly wondering or crushed under the weight of the world. But if I am prepared when a test comes my way, after a quick deep breath, I can confidently respond by grabbing hold of my faith and standing firm. I am certainly not perfect or a Bible Scholar, but I do love The Lord with all my heart and I know Him better than the year before and therefore trust Him greater than ever before. He is my very best friend and my healer. He is my counselor and my peace. He is my everything and makes everything about me better! I am nothing without Him. I love Him so.
Today, are you ready for the "suddenlys" of life? What are you regretting having not done or wish you were doing now? While you cannot go back in time, you can live for today and make changes that begin here and now. Make a plan, prepare best you can, initiate the change. No more excuses or Wish Lists. Cast your cares upon Him because He cares for you. Be ready best you can. If God has called you to it, He will equip you for it! Even if it's a hobby or lifestyle change, stop wishing it and give it action. Pray and seek God first to be sure it is in His will for you in this season, and if so, He will provide for you the time, energy and resources you need to accomplish it according to what He has planned and prepared for you. But above all, seek God, know God first. Nothing on this earth compares to the Love of the Lord God.   
    
Father God Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth, You are beyond measure. Forgive my weak efforts to seek after you. Remove within me all that hinders me from earnestly seeking after you with all my heart. Take away my fears, my insecurities, my laziness and restore to me the fear and joy of my salvation. When my hands and heart grow weary, be my strength. Prepare me for tomorrow and help me live whole-heartedly for today. Thank You Lord for sending Your Son to lead by example what faithfulness to serve and love You and others looks like. He shows us how to pray and spend time talking to You. Help us be disciplined as we learn the muscle memory of faith, hope, trust, self-control, joy, peace, gentleness, and confidence. When suddenly comes, may we run to Your outstretched arms first and seek refuge and strength in You. Forgive us when we trust our own ways instead of trusting Yours. Help us to trust You more by knowing You more. There is none as great as You. Bless Your Holy Name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment