Monday, December 10, 2012

My Mountain- Wheezing to Whistling


I bet when I say "mountain" this is what you imagine. Those of you who know me already know I LOVE taking pictures and am especially awed by God's magnificent, diverse creation. I have TONS of pictures of mountains, snow-capped and richly green alike. There is something so grand about mountains and oceans as they display the might and control of God. I could sit and stare at them all day, every day! 

I have hiked mountains and I have taken the lift up. Truly, both trigger my adrenaline. Hiking is a serious work-out going up, down is much easier. Not to mention the fact you very well may encounter a bear, snake, boar, lion, and a moose (which we have!) Lifting up the side however, while safe from being a meal for Mr Bear, is unnerving for someone afraid of falling/heights. Either way, anxiety hits a high. So why do it? Because the glory is worth the sacrifice it takes to get through it. The views are breath-taking.


You may have noticed that the first few pics I posted are "real" mountain shots from a recent snowy vacation with the family. (I'm resisting the urge to dig out more of these awe-some mountains...so massive and beautiful.) So then, what are the other pics?!? They are my other "real" mountains. The "mountains" and valleys we walk through in life. Our obstacles. Our challenges. Our conquering moments.


We all have "mountains" to climb. These pictures represent for me, some of my mountains. To you, they may look like a fun, lovely moment, and that is nothing more than the Grace of God shining through that moment, but in my world, they are mountains that were climbed! 

I am blessed to get to help with the children's choir in my church and the song I am teaching is "Go Tell it on the
Mountain." Last night as we were singing and teaching the sign for mountain, I said "Stretch your arms all the way up. Show me how high your mountain is!" The kids reached their arms up and one said, "Your mountain is higher than mine." Those words cut to my core....how true. 

My mountains are not the same as your mountains. The way we climb it, the time it takes to get up and over it are different. I know, I have work-out buddies and they can out-run and out-last me any day of the week and even whistle a tune! Good Grief...I'm just trying to breath while not tripping over my own feet! lol


Think about it for a minute...If you took a picture of your mountain what would it look like? Maybe you are climbing one right now. I won't explain all my pictures but I will summarize in this: many of my mountains are fear- heights, falling, judgments, trusting God, trusting others, letting go; forgiveness, courage, parenting, leadership, surrender, endurance, illnesses, faith...

Because we are all in different seasons of life, our terrains will look very different. We will face different obstacles, slopes, views. This is why we cannot compare or judge one another. If you were to stand at the foot of my mountain, you may laugh, for to you, it's merely a bump in the road. We must be very careful that we do not judge the climb another is taking. Rather, that we speak truth in love and encourage our friend to get up and over their mountain! 


As I have consistently "worked-out" with my buddies, over time, I have begun to gain strength and endurance. I get over my "mountains" faster. I am stronger. I too shall be able to whistle a tune as I conquer a travelled path! Endurance and strength are both physical and spiritual attributes. I find that as I grow my spiritual muscles, my physical muscles increase too. I am less fatigued and weary. A Holy fire fuels my day. When I am not working out, physically or spiritually, I become lazy, weak, distracted and defeated. As I come to the foot of my mountain, I must have endurance and strength to climb it!! Otherwise, the journey will take longer than needed (thinking of the Israelites and Jonah!!). 

The glory waiting on the other side of your mountain...the views that are sure to take your breath away, are well worth the sacrifice it will take for you to climb! Begin today to "work out" those muscles of faith, hope, trust and you will find your wheezing transforming into a  joyful whistle soon enough! Unsure? Need motivation? Accountability? Ask God to send you a "work-out" buddy or two and head to the mountains!


What a time of celebration when we gather together to share the photo albums of our Mountain Journeys! From all around the world, millions of hiked trails, majestic views seen through the eyes of each one, how inspiring and incredible it will be as we see all God has done!!! Here are just a few of mine from 2012....




"He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20




"Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 9 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. 10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe." 
I Timothy 4: 7-10 
 


"Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you." 39 He also told them a parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher. 41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye." Luke 6: 37-42




"Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 9 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. 10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe." I Timothy 4: 7-10 



"...so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord,fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us tothe kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1: 10b-14








                                          
DO NOT JUDGE! ENCOURAGE!
DO NOT FEAR! TRUST!
DO NOT QUIT! ENDURE!
DO NOT DESPAIR! BELIEVE!
YOU CAN DO ALL THINGS!!! Phil 4:13


No comments:

Post a Comment