Monday, September 10, 2012

Rock vs Sand

""Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."" Matthew 7: 24-27


With the new change of the season, less humidity and cooler temps, I have found myself spending more time outdoors. In this Texas heat, it's a rare treat to spend full days outside without drowning in sweat! This verse came to mind today as I was returning home from my bike ride. Just outside my neighborhood, there is an area of rugged terrain I pass through to get home. For the most part, it is either sand or dirt. 
As I come flying off the street and make the transition into this "unstable" area, I must be paying attention to the unevenness of the ground so that I don't fall. Tree stumps, rocks, holes, branches and even trash fill the area. If I am not watching where I am going, I am surely gonna slip and fall.

This happened to me this morning. I wasn't paying attention as I crossed the now very familiar grounds, and my bike slid sideways on the shifting sands. I was not planning on sliding, or going sideways, but that is the way I went because I was careless. God brought this verse to mind.

Why do we "build" on "rock?" Because it is steady and dependable. Sand can be compacted down but it still gives way to pressure and it can be easily manipulated and moved. If it is our intent to build something that will withstand the pressure and rains of our circumstances, not quickly shaken or lost, then wisdom would say build on The Rock.

So it is with God. When we build our lives on God our Rock, we will withstand the pressures and rain that come against us. We won't crater and fall. Our circumstances will not control us. We will stand firm on Our Rock and endure.

Do you feel "loose?" Do you feel as though you continue, time after time, to be tossed around, heart and mind slipping and sliding, never at rest? Then may I suggest you check your foundation. You may need to replace some of that sand with a Bigger Rock!




No comments:

Post a Comment