Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"You Da' BEST Mom!!"

I LOVE when I hear the words, "Mom, I Love You," and "Mom, You're the Best Mom EVER!!" Unfortunately these words most often come after a reward has been given. I promise you I have not heard these words within an hour of being disciplined, maybe even not that entire day!! LOL!!!!

There was a lesson I learned a few years ago as I walked thru my dark valley in 2008/2009 that God called me to remember this past week. It's a lesson I feel God has reminded me so that I can encourage others with it, especially my own children who are such opportunity seekers.

They would ask for a coke for dinner (which is a rarity in this House of Water!!).
I said Yes. They replied I was the Best!!

They asked for ice cream for dessert (again, another rarity in a house where Mom and Dad are trying to make healthy choices!!)
I said Yes. They replied I was the Best!!

They asked to stay up 30 min past bedtime to finish a favorite show.
I said Yes. They replied I was the Best!!

You KNOW they didn't think or feel that when I said NO. I quickly went from Hero to Zero.

Each time they shout "Mom, You're the BEST!!!!!" I remind them that I am a good Mom regardless if they got what they wanted or not. I ALWAYS have their best in mind. I ALWAYS do my best to give them the desires of their hearts. I ALWAYS do what I can when I can for them. But, I don't always tell them Yes. In their eyes, I am not always their Hero.

NO, you may not play with the fire.
NO, you may not download that song with those lyrics even if the rhythm is cool.
NO, you may not have ice cream for breakfast.
NO, you may not drive my car at the age of 14.
NO, you may not watch certain shows.
NO, you may not date yet.
NO, you will NOT wear pants that show your undergarments.
NO, you may not have a sleepover on a school night.
NO, you may not have a $135 pair of tennis shoes.
NO, you may not have a nicer phone then me.
NO, you may not roll your eyes at me.
NO, you may not talk back to me. 
NO, you may not hit your sibling because they made you mad.
NO, you may not eat Poptarts every day for breakfast.
NO, you may not sit on the couch and watch TV all day long.
NO, you may not skip church cuz you're tired.


Yes, I will protect you.
Yes, I will be there for you when no one else is.
Yes, I will love you always.
Yes, I will hug you and sit with you any chance I am able.
Yes, I will watch your favorite movie with you.
Yes, I will make sure you have appropriate shoes and clothes to wear. 
Yes, I will do all I can to provide a healthy environment- physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Yes, I will teach you how to behave, treat others, study the bible, tithe, drive, clean, every life skill I can.
Yes, I will forgive you when you crush my heart, roll your eyes and make choices that disappoint me.
Yes, I will reward you for your obedience and discipline you in your disobedience.
Yes, I will celebrate your victories in life and encourage you through the trials.
Yes, I will ESPECIALLY teach you all that I know about the Lord our God!!!!
Yes, I will hold you accountable!!!

I am good, regardless of how you feel. Your opinion doesn't doesn't change the fact that I am good. No, I am not perfect and I never proclaim to be. Quit the opposite.  I am a sinner, just like you, on a path of righteousness, just like you, intentionally living my life with Christ as my core, (hopefully) just like you, I must confess my sins, just like you, I tithe my money, just like you. I don't understand God's way all the time, just like you. God is always good. He always has our best in mind.

I tell my kids all the time that it is the example of Christ they should follow, not mine or that of any other human. Some things I do right while sometimes I don't. Isn't that true? We most often know what to do but have a hard time doing it all the time. We're not perfect. Just intentional. Only Jesus has set the perfect example for us to follow. I tell them that I am just like them as I intentionally make choices that are pleasing to Him. I won't always make the right one but my heart and soul are focused on Him and when I make the wrong choice, have a bad attitude, or sin, God forgives me. He forgives us. 

He is good. Whether I agree with what God is doing in my life...even if it is a discipline I know I deserve, He is still good. God is ALWAYS good. My opinion doesn't matter. It doesn't change the FACT that GOD IS GOOD!!!!

To GOD be ALL the Glory!!!

"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands." Deuteronomy 7:9

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." I Corinthians 10:13

"You will say in that day: "I will give thanks to you, O LORD, for though You were angry with me, Your anger turned away, that You might comfort me. "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORDGOD is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation."Isaiah 12:1-2

" So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of His purpose, He guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us." Hebrews 6: 17-18

GOD IS GOOD...ALL....THE....TIME!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment