Monday, January 31, 2011

Smiling on the 14th Floor

January 2011 marked our 18th Wedding Anniversary!! It is hard for me to believe that I have been married for that long...I don't feel like I could be old enough?! The season of life we are in, we are not able to simply pick up and go away for a weekend. This year, we did managed to get away for one night as we stayed local.

To our surprise, as we checked into the beautiful hotel, they placed us on their top floor....the 14th floor! When I head those numbers my heart skipped a beat~ both joyful and fearful at the same time. Many of you may remember that in December 2008, I had "hotel issues" causing a season of panic attacks. In the first hotel, we were on the 13th floor I believe and had to move to the 2nd floor (which didn't really make a difference). Weeks later on a trip to Austin to see family, we stayed in a gorgeous hotel, I believe on the 10th floor, and again, there were panic moments in this torturous season. The next morning, we attended a large church as a family and even there...panic. This was quite the Season of Hell to say the least. I was so consumed by fear and anxiety that I did not have hope or understanding. I was afraid.

The following April of 2009, God had delivered me from the bondage of fear. My birthday was certainly a celebration of Life! We stayed on the top floor of our hotel which only happened to be the 9th floor but that was a huge moment of victory for me! Fear had no hold on me!! Life was good, full of hope! Life to be lived fully in Christ, with great hope and anticipation. Since then, we have not stayed in a "big" hotel.

We walked over to the elevator, pushed the Up button and waited. The doors glided open and we stepped inside. My heart jumped, but I was ready, willing and knew with God, I was able!!! This was not an issue for me. What a moment to treasure!!! A Blessing counted and remembered.

Side note: I don't know why there has to be a chime at every floor passed, kinda reminds you how high you are going, and really...is anyone counting to know? They should do away with the chimes~ not good for anxious riders!!
 
Anyway, After the first few seconds of taking a deep breath and believing...celebrating this victory, my heart was glad. Just 2 years ago, I thought I would never be able to stay comfortably in a hotel again and yet, here I was rising to the 14th floor!!! And of course, our room couldn't be the first door, but it was at the end of the hallway! Funny God!! Walking it out in joy.

 
  Our room was beautiful and the view was awesome!!! I have never liked edges, and even now, I will not be the person leaning against the windows or rails, but I did walk straight up to it and look down. The smile was for the victory more than the view. God is sooooo good!

 
The hotel gifted us with flowers, champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries! (What a wonderful distraction too!) I haven't had a drink since 1994, but I sure loved the strawberries!! We enjoyed several rides up and down the elevators as we visited the pool area and restaurant. No issues, amen!

 
When we are in the middle of the storm, it is hard to imagine ever getting out of it, and very difficult to see anything good in it. It is soooo important that we have two things~ confidence in God through our faith and the love of others. God is our Potter and He is in the business of defining and shaping us to be more like Him. In the same way we bless and correct our own children, so God does with us. It takes good times and bad times to teach us. Some things are only learned through trials.
 
Before you find yourself in the midst of a trial, be ready! Work out those spiritual muscles so that when it is time to be strong, you are! Also, ask God to place others who are deeply in love with Him around you, for such a time as this. We are made to live in community with each other and God uses others to help us in our time of need. "Encourage one another, love one another." I am thankful for the sweet sisters God has placed around me. It has been through them that God has been that hug, that word of hope, the focus and perspective. To each a season and to each a specific reason. We should all be a sharpening to one another and not dull each other out.

I am also thankful to be married to my man who has reminded me over and over that he will never leave me or walk away from me. He is committed to walk over the mountains with me and even the valleys. Boy has he!!! I appreciate him more and more every year.
 
Wherever you are in your walk today, I encourage you to go further. Keep walking. Don't stop learning and especially don't stop believing. Trust that God is who He says He is. He is able to do more than we could ever imagine! (Eph 3) He wants our joy to be full! (John 15:11)
 
Blessing and smiles, from the 14th floor!!!
 
 
 
To GOD be the GLORY for He has done, and is STILL doing GREAT and MIGHTY things!!!
 
AMEN!!!!

Michele
 
 
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment