Thursday, February 10, 2011

Seen a Hero lately?

This morning in my bible study, having a Hero was mentioned. It got me to thinking about Heroes- who are they? What makes them a Hero?

It's interesting how our definitions change as we change (aka-get older). What used to be considered "fun" at one time, is no longer how I would choose to "have fun" today. The goals I once had set for me to achieve are no longer the same goals. What I considered to be acceptable, I know question.

Even physically, it used to be all about the numbers and now, it's how I feel and how healthy is the inside of me; not so much the outside of me anymore. If you asked me to describe what defines a woman as beautiful years ago, I would point out her flawless skin tone, body shape, clothing style, manicured nails and flowing hair. It is not my definition today. Beauty is the heart, soul and spirit of a person. What's on the inside comes out and affects the outside and if it isn't true, it turns ugly quickly. A beautiful child of God radiates Love. There's just something about him/her.

So, what's a Hero...I think most of us would generally say a Hero is an adult-aged "someone" who helps others, fixes things, one who helps us get what we needed and steps up to save the day. As I reflect on this title of Hero, the attributes that come to mind are not grounded in outward traits or outward works. My definition of Hero is based on who the person is, not what a person does.

Someone who's courage is steadfast in the face of great temptation or trial is my Hero. The person who's life takes a tragic turn and where most would question God in anger, he/she maintains the faithfulness of hope. They trust when the rest of us doubt. They have joy when we have devastation. Their tears are wiped with peace while ours are wiped with grief. The answers to their questions can be found in The One who IS The Answer! How humbling.

My 4 year old son has been my Hero. My several Sisters in Christ who are facing cancers, young and old are my Heros. The encouragement and faith of my next door neighbor who recently had a stroke inspired me and challenged me. Those who have left the secular career world (money, family, familiarity, friends) to be full time ministers or missionaries, they are my Heros.

A Hero stands when others sit. They speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. When the rest of the world hates, they love. A Hero hugs the seemingly unhuggable.

Of course, those who serve our country, military, locally, fireman, police officers, etc are in a class of their own. Anyone who willingly puts their life on the line to protect another's, is certainly a Hero!!! We have one of those in my family too!!!

As I look at the people God has placed in my life, I certainly see a lot of Heros. All ages. Each one for a different reason. There isn't a Hero checklist, but these have certainly made their mark!! 

Thank You Lord God for being our Ultimate Hero!!!! God, if Your Holy Spirit resides in those of us who believe in Your Son, then each of us have the ability to be a Hero. Will you help us have the confidence in You to allow You to be that Hero through us.

Help us to remain steadfast in You. Define for us what You want us to be and not what we think others want us to be.

Hoping, trusting, resting. Thank You that in You we have the honor and blessing to encourage others and be a witness of You. Thank You for placing Heros in our life to teach us what true strength and courage really means and what it means to live a self-less life by faith. Thank You Jesus.




"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6






No comments:

Post a Comment