Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In the Shadow of a Tree

This morning as I was driving my son to his little pre-k, I began to take notice of every shadow each tree made. Knowing how God likes to use visuals with me, I immediately asked God, "Yes??" What He revealed to me as I passed hundreds of trees on my drive I am not even sure I can write in words but I would like to share it with you, so I will do my best...

Each tree casts it's own shadow. It is simple: The small skinny tree casts a tiny, scantily shadow; whereas the large oak tree casts a massive and very dense shadow. Unfortunately, our property lost 2 of the 4 of it's mighty trees over the past few years with the last one taken down just a few months ago. THAT tree was the hardest to loose because it was the only tree in our front yard and it provided the Mommy shade! My kids are too young still to play out front by themselves, so it is necessary for me to sit out there with them. No big deal, I just grabbed a chair and sat under the shade. Well, now there is no more shade and it is miserable to have to sit outside for an hour!

Ahhh, shade! Lovely & bearable.
 With shade, it is more comfortable and it makes it easier to be outside. It is shelter from the heat. Your body, your drink, your cell phone...it all stays cooled off under the protection of the shade. Without shade, it is more work, you need sunscreen, hats, glasses, Thermos container for your drink, and a towel or something to cover up the cell phone to protect it from the intense heat-not to mention your ear from the burn when you attempt to answer it! (Yes, it was hot! Remember, this is Texas!)

No Shade here!! "Sweating-it" is guaranteed!

After studying the shadows, praying attention to their sizes, shapes and densities, the Creator of this landscape taught me something. Big tree = Big Shade. Big Shade = Big Protection. It was if He was asking me, "How big am I?" I am thinking "pretty big." "I can cover all of you," He said. Wooooah...I had to stop and think for a minute. As I looked over my circumstances, heart areas and spirit, I realized that maybe I hadn't allowed God to grow big enough to cover me. Am I not receiving from Him all that I could, or should? Here He stands offering me full shade and protection and yet I am satisfied with my little umbrella?



How big is God? He holds the world in His hands! How big have I allowed Him to be over me? As a Believer we have been given the seed of Christ, the Holy Spirit to dwell within each of us. How big is your/our God tree? Is it a little seedling that we have placed over our needs area? Did we just ask Him to bless this one little area and forgive this other little one over here? Or, do we have a medium sized Tree ~ we sorta-kinda attempted to nourish it when we feel like it and often do remember to spend some bits of time taking care of it?

Or, have you allowed your "Tree" to take root and grow bigger and bigger as as result of your commitment and dedication to nourishing what was once just a little seed? God wants to bless you and be your refuge and shelter. The bigger we allow God to be in our lives, the bigger His shade will be over us. The greater our protection from the heat (evil.) I don't know about you, but I want God's protection over every area in my life and not just parts of it.

But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy ; And may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You. For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD, You surround him with favor as with a shield. Psalm 5: 11-12

There was a long part of my walk with God that I would say He was this portable umbrella I carried around so that when rain came, I could just pop it up whenever I needed it. Today, God is a mighty Tree of Life for me. When rain, heat or sun comes out, I know I am protected. I don't need to run around seeking shelter or carry around my temporary shelters. No matter if it is storming or sun shining beautiful, I am protected. No longer do I need to waste time worrying about the weather. I have rest knowing that God is my absolute Shelter and I am provided for under Him.

Having said that, even though I am consumed by Him and He is a mighty tower for me, He has shown me today that I am still holding onto a few umbrellas, attempting to cover (take care of myself) that which He is desiring to cover. Thank God for gentle correction. Thank God for His compassion.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

There is nothing in your life God cannot protect or rescue you from. He doesn't want to give you momentary shade. He doesn't want to give you partial shade. God is forever! He is Big! Allow Him to take root in you and receive His full protection and provision! It is much easier to find rest in the shadow of the Almighty than in the scorching heat outside of Him!



Father God, Creator of ALL things and their shadows, God I am asking that You help me to toss out the umbrellas I have placed over my life, in my heart, soul and mind. God, all I need is Your shelter. Forgive me for minimizing You. Help me to trust You. Lead the time I spend with You, enriching my soil allowing You to be bigger and greater in my life, covering all of me. God, grant me protection from the storms. Bless me with favor and provisions on lovely days. May Your shadow be so huge there is room to share with others passing by. You are all I need. You are my Shelter. You are my Refuge. You are a very Big God with a very big shadow. Thank You for revealing Yourself to us even through Your creation. My all in all, amen!   

Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8




No comments:

Post a Comment