Thursday, October 16, 2014

How do you dress-up to cover-up?

Does your external self (appearance, characteristics) dictate or identify the internal self (heart, soul, mind)? If you are like me, then you would have to admit that there are times when you secretly hope that it does cuz what's happening on the inside is a hot mess but if I can just put on the perfect looking outside, then everyone will think I am "perfect" on the inside too. That was soooo me and something I still fight against.
I have a friend who is what you'd say is "Cute as a button!" She has a cute hair cut, always rightfully dressed, a cheerful smile that lights up a whole room, is physically fit, she's tan to which her blue eyes just radiate and pierce you. She really is "cute as a button." But then she says, "I have big, flat, ugly feet!"as she slides her foot back. And then she says her hair is a mess. I think to myself, "Really?!? What mirror is she looking at? What in the world is she thinking?! She is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l, inside and out!!" I don't see her ugly flat feet or messed up hair. I see a beautiful woman who is has a heart of gold, a heart that beats for her Lord, a spirit of passion and energy, a woman with fire under her soul to love and serve God and others purely, a woman of hospitality, a devoted wife and mother. I mean really......who's looking at her feet? Well, she is. 
Thankfully for this sweet friend, her identity is not wrapped up in her outward appearance, even though it's a close match in my opinion, gorgeous in and out. There is a difference in caring about how you look which we all should care about how we present ourselves physically and materially before others as mentioned in 2 Timothy 2:8-10 "I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness--with good works." But it ought not identify us. 
For me, I have a long list of my attributes that I would have adjusted if I felt like it was okay for me to do, such as my nose, my ears, my eyes, my gut, my skin, my legs...just to name a few. Growing up as a young girl with severe cystic acne that kept me out of school for days at a time depending on the flare up or treatment days, (oh, and don't forget...with braces), my outward appearance was something I actually was shamed and embarrassed by. I would spend lots of time in front of the mirror, disgusted, trying to mask it, so I could look normal and be accepted by others. Surely if my appearance was less than, they would see me as less than. It sounds ridiculous to say that now as an adult, because I know that is not true; however, for a teen girl who already feels insecure and inadequate, having to then deal with the outward imperfections could only draw attention to my internal weaknesses and imperfections. So, I believed and here, the cover up began. I concerned myself with dressing up the outward to compensate and distract from what was underneath, which was a physical and emotional mess. I only allowed myself to be "real" at home where I was safe from the judgement of others. No wonder I was a home-body! 
I lived under that assumption for many, many years and to this day, I have to guard myself against going back to thinking those same, irrational thoughts. Our outside certainly does not define our inside. It certainly may affect me, but it certainly does not define me! 1 Samuel 16:7 reminds us that God looks at our hearts. "But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." 
There are always going to be the few Joan Rivers types that pick apart everyone. Some people are just very critical of others' intentions or looks. I am sure there is someone out there that could detail every blemish of my beautiful friend that I do not see, cuz they have judging eyes. And same for me, I could find someone to verify my imperfections. But when we seek to see as God sees, we see people's hearts, just as He does. Big nose, flat feet, pimples, scars, lumpy thighs are not what God is judging or identifying me by. 
Now, I live in freedom from that bondage of judgement and worry. My identity has been identified and found in Christ. I am not consumed by portraying my identity anymore, but rather hoping my heart portrays my identity, who I am in Christ, the real me! A bad hair day and a huge pimple on my face definitely puts a damper on my day, but it no longer rules me. I am so very thankful for friends who encourage me in being real from the inside-out. I no longer need to hear "You are pretty." I need to hear, "You are His!" and that's all that matters!!!!
Who I am in Christ is the real me, despite what I do or say. I can dress up and tell the world I am perfect or that I am a complete screw-up and both would be a lie. While I may feel that way, the truth is found in Christ: I am a new creation. I have His saving power and strength within my soul that fills in the gaps of my weaknesses. I was thought valuable enough to die for. I am redeemed and forgiven for all my sin. I may not love well, but I am loved very well! Regardless of who I say I am or what anyone else thinks I am, God sees my heart- the good, the bad and the ugly and yet He still claims me as His daughter forever. Wow! 
And bottom line...He gave His one and only Son, not to make me pretty, but so I could have a new heart and live forever and ever and ever with Him. I must be special cuz FOREVER is a loooooong time. 
The same is true for YOU!!!! You are special and worth dying for and the King of the Universe, the Creator of all things, wants to live with you for all eternity....not because you are pretty, but because your heart is His!!!! Ashes to ashes, heart to heart. 
(And for my sweet friend who thinks her feet and hair are messed up...you're wrong. You are beautiful head to toe, inside and out!!)
Thank You Lord, for Your grace is sufficient!!!!! There is none like You!!!!


"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him. " 
John 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment