Monday, October 27, 2014

Having Self-Control to NOT be In Control


Sounds ridiculous doesn’t it?!? But I know that for those of you who may be struggling with letting go of being in control, that you totally understand that statement. For those of you who think you can control everything, well, this makes no sense and you’d probably say, “Just take control and let be what is to be.”
As a Mom, it is our job to be “in control” at all times, monitoring the house, monitoring the health of the home both physically and emotionally, supporting Dad with leading the spiritual health. We are to teach responsibility as we “train them up in the way they should go.” We are to help with their schooling, read and connect with their vulnerable hearts and wild little minds. We are to keep them focused on their value in Christ, assuring them they are infact “fearfully and wonderfully made” when the world crushes them and tells them they are worthless. It is us who set the tone of the house when sleepy and grumpy eyes don’t feel like waking up and going to school or work that day. It is our gentle answers that diffuse hormonal explosions. The list goes on.
But there comes a point where we have to “let go and let God.” There is only so much we can do. I would even say there is only so much we are supposed to do. 
Our children are not ours, “they are a gift from the Lord.” They are ultimately His and we are simply the trainers and care-givers for a short time. Only God can truly heal their heart from insecurity or pain, and it is my “job” to show how to lean into God’s love. Only God can give them value and strength therefore it is my “job” to show them the economy of God and that they are worth more than gold, they are worth dying for. Only God can give them confidence and endurance to walk through the days that feel like sinking sand. It is my “job” to show them how to fall into the arms of The One who will carry them through it.
All along I thought I was supposed to be the one that did all that for them. Have I taken the “job” of God?! My “job” is to train and display what it means to be Christlike. We are to reflect the glory of our Lord in all the we do and all that we are. But who is determining what that is? Me? Or God? Each of our “jobs” here on earth are for the glory of our Master and Supreme Authority. We are the display of Christ, His reflection, when our “light shines in the darkness” and as we “love one another” and “count others more significant than ourselves.” Is is not our “job” to light the wicks, but flame them. It is not our “job” to place value on others, it has already been determined on the Hill of Calvary. God is God, that’s His “job.” We are partakers of this great plan. How wonderful that even though God doesn’t need us to “get the job done”, but that He allows us see the Light and fruit of His glory, that we get to share in the blessings of His salvation and redemption. There is such a joy to see the hands of God do their “job” through ours. To see the fruit of our laboring with Him. We neither made the fruit or harvested it and yet we get to gather it and enjoy it. “Taste and see that the Lord is good!!!!”  
I don’t know who else out there needs this encouragement, or maybe gentle reminder as I have, but I promise you that when you “cast your burdens and anxieties on Him because He cares for you” and you rest knowing God “goes before you and holds everything together,” and when you remember that “In the beginning God…created” it all and saw that it was good, that “He is over all things present, past and future,” that our God is the One True God, the “Alpha and Omega and The Beginning and The End” of everything, and that “He has a plan to prosper you” in your “job” as a Mom/CareTaker, Wife/Spouse, CoWorker, Friend, Neighbor, Church Member, Volunteer…that He has given to you a spirit of peace that surpasses all understanding, love, joy, patience, gentleness, kindess, faithfulness and riches/resources too numerous to count for you to accomplish your “job.” You can trust Him, depend on Him and fall into His steadfast and loving care for every decision and every relationship that you must “work at.” 

It is too great a burden (“job”) to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, our shoulders aren’t big enough. It is God’s job to be God and our “job” to serve Him in the working power of the love of Christ, with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength!!!
May we have self-control today to not be controlling, but rather that we would be an instrument to be used by God, who has absolute power and authority over and in all things!! 


Father God, Lord over All, take my hands and bind them to Yours. Fix my eyes on what You have before me. Cleanse my heart Lord and empty all that hinders it from being filled with You. Straighten my path so that I can follow You and not swerve to the left or right. Forgive me for those times when I step before You and think I can lead the way. Forgive me for those days I sloth behind You. Quicken and steady my pace to walk with You. God, You are The Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and End of all things, in my life and in all Creation. I acknowledge You are The Great I Am. Holy Spirit, remind me when I start thinking I am and turn my heart’s attention of being in control to He who is. Thank You Lord for Your grace, Your mercy, Your Love and Your patience. My knee is bowed. Please give me the confidence, endurance, strength, wisdom and discernment for every “job” that You have given me. May I hear the whipsers of the Holy Spirit who is monitoring me as I monitor those around me. I trust You. Thank You for carrying me and loving me like You do. Thank You for loving my child even more than I could ever! Let each of them know it and believe it too!!!! You are precious, my Savior and Friend, amen.


Be still my soul, be still. 

No comments:

Post a Comment