Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hope Now

Hope Now
By Addison Road

If everything comes down to love
Then just what am I afraid of
When I call out Your name
Something inside awakes in my soul
How quickly I forget I'm Yours

I'm not my own
I've been carried by You
All my life

Everything rides on hope now
Everything rides on faith somehow
When the world has broken me down
Your love sets me free

When my life is like a storm
Rising waters all I want is the shore
You say I'll be ok and
Make it through the rain
You are my shelter from the storm

You've become my hearts desire
I will sing Your praises higher
Cause Your love sets me free
Your love sets me free

"If everything comes down to love...Then just what am I afraid of"...Why are we so afraid of Love? Maybe we have felt love from someone only to discover it was not genuine. Perhaps we have given the love to another only to have it stepped on. Love is, should be, vulnerable. It's a giving of something deeper than like. And of course, there are the different types of love which we have heard so many times.

There is so much written on Love and what it is, what it means, how it looks and behaves. For Believers, the most famous passage is the Love Chapter-I Corinthians 13, often read at weddings. Love is first and foremost a Person, Jesus Christ. It is also a feeling, emotion and a commitment. I may feel in love with you, I may not feel in love with you but I am committed to you completely.


So what am I so afraid of? I think it's the fear of rejection. If you have been betrayed or hurt in your past, it will not be easy to love the next time. We build a little protection around our heart so make sure that next time, the level of pain will be less. Our skin gets thicker and thicker for self-preservation's sake until we either rebel and give up on ever loving again or you become so guarded that you almost cannot feel love again. You have chosen to not be vulnerable out of the fear of rejection, pain and hurt. Almost robotic.


As I walk on my life journey with God, my desire is to know Him better so I can love Him better so that I can please and praise Him better. His goal as He walks with me is to love me just as I am, forgiving and accepting me right where I am at, pick me up when I fall, be strong when I am weak, wipe all the tears that fall, hold me when I am lonely or sad, lovingly correct, guide and protect me from the enemy and be the first one to celebrate my victories and cheer me on to the next victory. That is love.


He is my Father, my Savior, Healer, Protector and Refuge. He is my absolute Best Friend and there is no one I love more than Him. As we walk He is equipping me. How patient He must be, I tell ya! I am such a slow walker.


"When the world has broken me down, Your love sets me free-When my life is like a storm. Rising waters all I want is the shore. You say I'll be ok and Make it through the rain. You are my shelter from the storm." No one can really know who you are like God can. The best you can do to describe yourself, still cannot fully represent who you are. We may not even fully know who we are. (A whole 'nuther subject for a whole 'nuther blog! Stay tuned for Part Two of this!!) I am so thankful He is my refuge. Sometimes He is the shelter but sometimes He lets me be in the storm but He holds my hand in it! Thank You Jesus for never leaving me. Even when Icannot see Him or feel Him, He's there, I trust this, because I love Him. I have made a commitment to love Him with all my heart, body, mind and soul.

I think what makes it so hard for me to accept His love is that it's so unfair. He loves me perfectly, absolutely and unconditionally. And then He's got me to deal with. I laugh with my neighbor because he has quite the green thumb and a beautiful manicured yard and I appreciate the view. My yard on the other hand, well...no green thumb...it shows the wear and tear of neighbor kids and their yard games and it's just nothing special. So, he's got the raw end of the deal.


But then if I trust God and who He is, and He loves me for who and what I am, then He does see my true love for Him and my heart-felt devotion for Him. Even when I am fearing, doubting, whining, scared...He still knows I love Him. He extends His great grace over me. Every day the Lord is near, never leaving or forsaking me.


"You've become my hearts desire, I will sing Your praises higher Cause Your love sets me free! Your love sets me free!!!" What freedom to know I can rest in His love.

"Thank You Lord Almighty. Thanks for walking so patiently and gracefully with me, all my life. I Love You, I feel it, I commit it, I Love You. AMEN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment