Monday, September 21, 2009

Attitude

Before our meals, we ask the kids who would like to pray. It usually works out that only 1 or 2 raise their hand. But when all of them do or we get into the fussing about who gets picked first, we go with youngest to oldest and we call it Popcorn Prayer, each one goes around saying their prayer, one at a time of course, then my husband or I close. At dinner with a friend the other night, we were having pizza and when asked who wanted to pray, all 5 said MEEEE! So, I suggested the Popcorn Prayer. Corey, my 2 year old said with hands turned up, "No Mommy, we not have popcorn, we eat pizza, see?"
Well, today...both toddlers wanted to pray at lunch today. It has been a hard day with the 4 year old, always wanting to be first or get her way lately. So, I said youngest to oldest and she was not happy about that to say the least. The toddler prayed, then she told me to pray, so I did, then waited for her. But she refused. I told her that since she commited to pray, we would be waiting for her. Minutes went by, I kept my head bowed, eyes closed, praying silently for the current "tootieness" she had been displaying and asking God to give me descernemnt on how to handle it and extra patience. Corey thought he could prompt her by saying a little prayer every minute. I looked up and told her that I would continue to wait for her to pray. I closed my eyes again and prayed again.
KSBJ was playing in the background and I heard one of my favorite songs, "While I am waiting, I will serve you while I'm waiting. I will worship while I am waiting..." Isn't God funny? I couldn't help but giggle at the moment. 5 minutes must have gone by and she finally said, "Thank you for my food. Amen." I paused a moment to thank the Lord, as my daughter yelled, "I already prayed!"
"Oh Lord, how many times have I committed to follow Your lead and promised to do something for You and then turned my back on You, changing my mind like a mere toddler? Please forgive my stubborness and my ignorance. Help me to fulfill not only what I say I will do, but submit to the things You ask me to do. In Your Son's faithful name, amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment