Sunday, August 30, 2015

Two Sides of Every Storm

I am not one to jump in the car and chase a storm, but I am one to get out and take peeks close to home of what's going on nearby me, before, during or after the storms roll through. It's also a great way to meet neighbors as assessments are made of everyone's properties! Florida was spared a hit from Erika today and now we are keeping an eye on Mischievous Fred off the tip of Africa. For several days, our area has experienced some frighteningly fantastic lightening storms. (Had they not been so stunning, I would be pretty upset for the loss of sleep a few nights!) Waters have risen to the tops of the docks, large palms and weak branches have fallen under the weight of the winds. And yet, it's been a welcomed nourishment to very dry lands (and our upcoming water bill!) 
This is our first year to ever live by the water's edge, so I couldn't wait to get out today and check out what the ocean and bayside looked like amongst the storm's backdrop. I brewed up a hot cup of coffee and grabbed my camera to set out to explore the wonders of crashing waves, billowing clouds and surely a brightly colored rainbow to top of the day....only that's not what I found. The skies displayed a thick, dull, grey covering where only the darkest of grey clouds could be seen. Amazingly, the waters were breathtakingly flat calm. You could hear the plinking of raindrops over the water. It was amazingly quiet and serene. My soul was awed. Only God can calm a storm like this. How can this be? Such peace in the middle of a storm?!? 
I walked along the quiet, stilled shoreline of one of my favorite spots, excited and thankful to be able to dip my toes into the warm water for a few minutes; and as I was heading back to my car, my eyes were drawn to the trees and I noticed the waterline on them. All the trees had a dividing line from top to bottom. One half was wet, while the other side was dry. In that moment, God spoke to my heart, "Remember, there are two sides in every storm." My heart flooded with names of friends currently battling cancers, fighting against divorce, leaders under attack. I recalled all the different magnitude of storms in my own personal life over the years of divorcing parents, three miscarriages, panic and anxiety attacks, betrayals, insecurity, disappointments, sadness, loneliness...that was soooo true.
Today's storms could have been much worse. Yes, winds littered the ground with debris which now must be cleaned up. Yes, we anxiously discussed and planned for worse case scenarios. Yes, things were broken....this is the bad part of every storm.....but.....there was another side. There was an indescribable peace. We witnessed a calming of the raging cells. There was welcomed nourishment to our dry lands. There was a purging of weak branches we hadn't noticed before. Shallow roots have been exposed. There was heightened awareness. Anticipation carved away callouses. This is the good part of every storm. 
So it is with us. In every storm, there are two sides. While storms rage among us, we can stand strong, holding on to Strength Himself. We can fix our eyes on Peace and be filled without being consumed. As rising waters expose our shallow roots and winds expose our weaknesses, we can be assured this is a good thing for now our once hardened and poorly nourished soil has been toiled, dead weight tossed off and roots can once again dig deeper. Dry, calloused places within us will be softened by the crashing salty waves washing over us for the duration of the storm. While it can be frightening, our hearts and minds may fret and worry, may we step out with anticipation for something new and wonderful to come. Easier said than done, I know. It's hard to have a steady hope in the face of blinding rains as you watch wind scatter debris all around you. 
I can say from personal experience and I have heard others share the same sentiments, it was only after the storm, looking back over it's destructive path, that we found a divine soil, where our roots had forged deeper underneath us. Because of the darkness, we found the greatest Light. It was flooding waters that taught us what it meant to be consumed by something. It was the gusting winds pushing against us that made us aware of the Strength of Who we were holding on to. The removal of weak and dead branches made way for new growth. Because of the storm, I was made new. I was made stronger. My soul was awed. There really are two sides to every storm.

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. 
Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. 
So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. 
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, 
when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; 
for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. 
My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:1-8 (ESV)

 "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 
And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand." Matthew 7:24-26 (ESV)

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. 
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:12-16 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment