Monday, June 29, 2015

The Two Key Lime Trees

For the past 10 months, the place we leased spoiled us with the most beautiful and plentiful Key Limes! We enjoyed making key lime pies and cherry limeades every week! Seriously spoiled! Then, we moved to a new house which also had a Key Lime tree. But the poor thing, it is pitiful. 
The New (old) Key Lime Tree
Today, I spent time working in the yard, pruning up some overgrown trees and the lime tree was the first one I started with. It has apparently been a long time since the lime tree had any attention. It was all over the place with tons of sprigs and lots of tiny little limes amongst the sparse wimpy leaves. It was pitiful and in need of a good ol pruning. It looks horrible right now but I know that soon enough it will be blossoming and full. Some of the branches were even dry rotted and I am a little worried about the overall health of the tree. Time will tell. 
It's not really fair to compare the 2 trees. Yes, they were both key lime trees, but there is no comparison when it comes to the fruit. They came from 2 different lots with 2 different owners, one hands off and the other hands on. There's no way my new tree will ever be as beautiful as the other tree because they have grown up in different ways. I can really only hope that with care and attention, my new (old) lime tree will regain it's strength, endure it's brokenness and revive itself. While it is producing marble size key limes now, I pray that it will one day produce what I know it is capable of growing. My only comparison will be against what it used to be, the old vs. the new, how much it has grown since it's pruning. It wouldn't be right to compare one tree to another, but only to it's own potential of bearing the best fruit possible within it's own soil. 
We do this with people too. We are so easily caught up in comparing one to another when really, we ought to be concerned with our own fruit producing possibilities. How wonderful the fruitfulness of the other, to God be all the glory. But how about your own? Are you the healthiest you can be? Are you rotting from the inside out where no one else can see? Are you producing just enough fruit to look rooted and mature, however, it's just enough to barely be alive? Imagine if you pruned out the dead, rotten branches, fertilized your soil, soaked in Living Water and opened up your branches to absorb more Son? Imagine the possibilities?! Marble size fruit becomes golf ball sized! What a blessing to the rest of the Garden of Life-giving fruit! How spoiling to the Master Gardner! What sweet aromas!

Lord, help me to keep my eyes centered on You alone and not on others around me. When I compare myself to them, even though I know I shouldn't, I feel so inadequate. I see all their fruit and mine doesn't look the same. I know we are all grown in our own ways and none of us look the same but I can't help but desire to have fruit like theirs. I know I can't compare apples to oranges but it's tempting to compare similar fruits and I find myself coveting theirs in comparison. Help me, Lord, to not look towards them rather help me look to my Gardener and stay focused on my own soil, my own tree, my own fruit. I want nothing more than to be a pleasing aroma to You alone, abiding in Your love and care, producing for You a sweet aroma that pleases your heart. Lead me beside still waters, into greener pastures, shielded by the clefts. Remove from within me all that hinders my growth in Your Kingdom Garden. Cleanse me, restore me, grow me, humble me, focus me, protect me, strengthen me in my weakness. Complete Your work in me and through me for the sake of Your glory. I know that one day I will no longer bear fruit but it will be my seeds that remain. Establish all that my heart and soul have sewn in Your mighty Name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Bless Your Beautiful and Bountiful Name, amen. 

"And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6 ESV.
My hope is in You.

"And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the LORD; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it." Ezekiel 17:24 ESV.
I believe in You.


"By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love." John 15:8-9 ESV.
I need You.



"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing," 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 ESV.
I am Yours. You are mine.

"Restore us, O LORD God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved." Psalm 80:19 NIV.
You save me.


No comments:

Post a Comment