Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thankful for Faith & Friends

It's that time of year when the ladies Bible study has ended and I sit and ask God. "What now?" Where, What, Who will I read and study during the holidays over the next 2 months? Sometimes He leads me to go back through the recent study or another from a different semester and review or do any that I missed a particular week. Sometimes I go back and study through sermon notes from the year, but always He leads me to reading and enjoying His Word. 
That's what I did this morning and I thought I'd share it with you. I love The Word! I decided to detail it out and make it come alive in my own visual and practical heart and head. It captivates my soul and I wonder why I haven't been sitting and just reading it every single day. I mean, I am in the Word daily, but it's one thing to study it verse by verse and it's a whole other approach to sit and stay in it. This morning's reading in 2 Peter 1, while it has tons of good applications, it also brought me to thanksgiving of fellowships in Christ. I am unpacking this and hope to share it with the family but I wanted to also share thanksgiving to those who stand beside me in the faith!! Those who have prayed me here where I am today, including the prayers of women I have only recently met!
 Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." It gets down in us and makes changes!! This is why it is soooo important who you trust to allow access to your heart and soul as your inner circle of friends and/or your mentors. They must be like-minded, not that we can't learn from differing opinions, but The Word says to guard your heart and mind in Him, to not share friendship with the world. I want people in my life who carry the armor of God with them to stand next to me on the battlefields and in the prayer closets. Other weapons will hurt me, but the weapons of God help me. I have been blessed beyond measure with such armed, Godly women! 
With our recent move out of state, my heart is even more grateful than ever for the friendships God establishes for my good and His glory! The Sister-friends who have pushed hard through my thick walls, the ones who stretched me and made me more pliable, the women who saw past my excuses and challenged me with grace. He blessed my life with women who not only led by spoken example, they live it. Strong, courageous women encircle me, from around the world!! Women who stand on The Word of God as absolute Truth and prove it to be true in their own life. Their faith walk match their faith talk. What treasures they are to me. I appreciate them so much, and it's not that I just miss them terribly, but that because of their impact in my life, I am stronger because of them through the work of the Holy Spirit in them. Because I am stronger, I can dig my roots deeper and wider all the way over here because they have showed me how it's done and they continue to stir me up across the miles. 
God also continues to surround me even here in our new place with Godly, genuine, courageous women. My heart overflows with thanksgiving at His abundance of grace! The greatest gift to me is not all these women's friendships combined, but their individual Sisterhood to me. Each one stirs me up in their own gifted way! They make every effort to remind me of God's love and provisions. They desire for me to be fruitful and effective in life and in spirit. How precious a gift is that?!? I am especially thankful today for each courageous woman God has knitted my heart to that remind me of the very reason I ought to make every effort to increasingly supplement my faith with more of God!!! I pray that upon my own departure (by location or for eternity), others will be stirred up and remember the greatness of God and the importance of supplementing our faith while receiving and trusting His grace, love and mercy! 
All this to say-choose your friends wisely and stay in the Word, increase your faith!!! I don't know what study you are doing for the holiday break, but it's easy to get busy with Holiday Life and fill your days with all the to-dos and get-readys and social parties. I encourage you to make sure you are in The Word, cuz it is where real change, real love, real help and real life is found! Jesus is the reason for the season...and for your life!!!
And to my amazing Sister-Friends, thank you for the reminders and bless you for stirring me up!!!! You know who you are! HUGS and LOVE!!!!! ~Me

Here are my notes from today's scripture~ 

2 Peter 1: 5-9, 12-15 "For this very reason (a statement presented in justification or explanation of a belief or action.) make every effort (exertion of physical or mental power) to supplement (to complete, add to, or extend by a supplement) your faith (belief in God) with virtue (moral excellence; goodness; righteousness; one of the three graces: faith, hope, or charity, infused into the human intellect and will by a special grace of God) and virtue with knowledge (acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation), 6 and knowledge with self-control (control or restraint of oneself or one's actions, feelings, etc.) and self-control with steadfastness (firm in purpose, resolution, faith, attachment,etc.) and steadfastness with godliness (conforming to the laws and wishes of God) 7 and godliness with brotherly (of, like, or befitting a brother; affectionate and loyal) affection (fond attachment, devotion, or love), and brotherly affection with love (a profoundly tender, passionate affection foranother person.) 
8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. 
12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, 14 since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things." 


No comments:

Post a Comment