Thursday, January 16, 2014

Yes, I do! How can you not?!?

Our church is currently going through a series about the local church, the importance of it, the structure, the value and ultimately, the glory of God and the fullness of God (Eph 3:21). I had sat next to one of my friends named Jennifer and another dear friend who's name is also Jennifer sat down on the other side of me. She said, "You are the middle of a Jennifer Sandwich!" I hadn't realized it till she said it and of course, it made me laugh. Then, throughout the sermon, in the back of my mind I was still giggling about being between these two awesome Jennifers. These girls have been such dear friends of mine for many, many years now and I am so grateful for their friendships, and their prayers. I have been blessed with several of these true and special Sisters in Christ and enjoy all the many hugs and prayers from so many each week, all from my local church!! When I miss for a very random and rare reason, I really miss it!!! God uses us to encourage each other, not just Ina  emotionally way, but spiritually!! I certainly count my blessings for the richness of a heart overflowing with thankfulness! 
We have attended this church since before the doors opened over 11 years ago so it is a very comfortable place. It's our home church. It's where we feel cared for, accounted for and a safe place to spread our wings and learn to fly (Isaiah) in the places of ministry God has called us within the church. Our Pastor will lay it all out and provide many scriptures about the local church, but as I sit here reflecting on MY local church, from my point of view, I don't don't know how someone can NOT be a part of a local church. I seriously don't know what I would do without mine! I am blessed with a great family but my church family has to "live" with me week after week. 
I know he mentioned tonight that we don't join a church for how they will serve you, but that you go where God has a harvest for you to serve, and I agree. But let me tell you...what a blessing He gives when we serve in His name, in the place He has sent you!! When we are where we are supposed to be, our hearts grow fuller and out of that we fill others, all to the glory of God. 
We are to encourage one another and love one another! It's been a joy to do this for others as I serve, but to also be on the receiving end is what makes life so much sweeter, and do-able! My church is where I feel "covered." My church is my "go to" in times of trial and a place of celebration in life's victories. My church is a training ground where I get to stretch and strengthen my spiritual muscles. My church is where my prayers and worship goes deeper and wider. My church is where my journey with the Lord "straightens out."  I rely on the accountability and the teaching and the love of my local church to help me to grow in the understanding and knowledge of Christ so that I can receive His love and therefore share it with others, ultimately giving to God the glory, while enjoying the "fullness of God."
So, I don't know if you are part of a local church, but I don't know how you can't be. We need each other! If you are waiting for "the perfect church," stop looking because there isn't one, and it's not really about you eventhough you will reap the blessings of fellowship with the Body, it's about the Lord! 
If you're reading this and you feel alone, I challenge you to look within your own heart and ask yourself honestly if you are sharing it with others. When we keep a wall of protection or pride or pity, bitterness or doubt around our heart, it neither gives well or receives well.  I know this from my own cautious life. When our hearts are full, (Deut 6:5, 10:12) it flows in each direction!! Up-Down-Out-Across!!! Start with loving The Lord and being loved by Him and I can promise you that your life will be full in the goodness of God and He will draw you to others to share this love with and highlight His very sweet love!!!!
Okay, rant over!!...now if you want all the "church" teachings-stay tuned to the upcoming series!!! How can you not?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment