Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The "Root" Issue


Do you ever wonder "How in the world did I get here?" "How did this happen?" "Where did it begin?" (Referring to good or bad.) Sometimes you can remember the exact time, place, location and who was with you when an epiphany reveals itself. While other moments seem to have simply appeared or evolved into being.

This morning I was writing in my Blessing Journal, thanking God for all the goodness, kindness, generosity, provisions, healing, friendships He has graciously given me, specifically over 2011 as I reflect over the year. It surprised me that as I thanked God for certain things and people, I could not pinpoint the exact moment I received the blessing or enlightenment or wisdom. When was it that I "got it?" 

My God: This year's bible studies have been very unique for me and oh, so rich and "meaty." I look back today and see how deeply rooted my faith is in Christ...how much more I love my Heavenly Father, the King of kings, my Savior. When was the moment it happened? Which prayer, study night or homework week was it that I understood Him more? When did my heart fill up? When did my spirit settle into peacefulness and strengthen? I don't know.

My Kids: These past several weeks I have felt a great peace with my kids. Why now? Why do I have a deeper level of confidence in them? Why do I see them with more joy than stressors?  I do believe that my friend's courageous battle with cancer has given me a renewed appreciation and slap in the face over getting things back into perspective. This, along with the "Deuteronomical Truth" gives me the courage to let go of this mega-control that I want and allow God to do what He needs to do in each of them, and me. When did I make that choice? What day? I don't know.

My Friendships: This year God has been especially sweet to bless me with some awesome Sisters in Christ. What's interesting is that some of (you) these girls I have known for many years and yet God saw fit to knit us together tightly in 2011 in a special way. Others of (you) these beautiful women I have only recently been blessed to know and yet the knitting together feels as if we have been intertwined for many a year. What was the thing that "clicked?" When did the comfort level reach a place of "sisterhood?" Why now?  I don't know.

It's hard to believe that it was just this year, in 2011, which many of these roots dug deep within my heart and spirit. Some roots are so deep it seems as if it has always been. We cannot comprehend God's works. How He gives. When He gives. Why He gives. Why He takes away. Processes don't have "dates and times." Now, there are definite defining moments in our lives we must make a choice and turn our life around. Salvation for example is NOT a process, it's a one time choice, in one moment in time. The process of growing, knowing Him, renewing and refining through the Refiners Fire does take time...it is a process day after day. He gives.

Otherthan life-altering choices that have to be made or clear-cut decisions "to do or not to do"...Truthfully, I really don't care when the moment happened or how it happened necessarily. I am just thankful it did!!  One of the reinforcements I gleaned from my recent study in Deuteronomy was that Blessings result from Obedience in the willing heart and it's in those blessings where life-change is realized. My heart's deep desire is to obey, but I am afraid that it doesn't always. I can only hope and pray that the deeper my roots go, the less I will waver.

The choice to change changes things, obviously. But saying it and doing it are two very different realities! The intention to change begins to happen the moment we choose to obey or disobey. The revelation or realization of change is slowly revealed as one layer at a time is peeled back. As one foot steps by faith infront of the other. Maybe that's why it is difficult to see the "ah-ha" moments because they evolve while we are in motion. It's the epiphany or end-result, whether it's blessing or discipline, that we realize change has or is happening. How can a gift (or discipline) from God not change you? Of course it will, it should!! That's why we can stop, look where we are and wonder, What? But how? When?

Another lesson learned is the clear reminder the Creator of the Universe has got things under control. I do not need to worry about all the details and "what if's." He has got it under control. HIS timing, HIS way will be perfect. I certainly don't have the wisdom or resources to change my life or anyone elses...but God can, and He will call to order strangers, friends, family, circumstances, "issues", studies, sermons, songs, and His amazing creation all to draw us closer to Him.

Where are you digging your roots into? A job? A person? May I recommend that you dig deep into God's Word...His living Word. " For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  Hebrews 4:12  It is GOD ALONE that can get to those secret and hidden places and work in them. 

(Funny, as I am editing this -I had written it earlier this morning- the thought came to my hair about "roots." I DO need to pay attention to my (hair) roots! Boy, don't we ALL need to pay attention to our "roots" and get them where they need to be!!!


Thank You Lord God for Your Love, Your Grace, Your Faithfulness, Your Way, Your PERFECT timing. I ask for the protection of our heart, mind, soul, and roots in You Father God. Forgive the times we choose not to obey You, for being stubborn and stiff-necked people. Thank You God for creating us to long for something, for having that deep need to belong, for giving us the drive "to do and be." May our desires be found in You alone. May we establish ourselves deeply rooted into Your Word so that we may hear Your voice and none other. Help us to be better students of Your Word and less focused on the world's views and expectations. Thank You for the seasons of pruning, making the burden lighter, ridding ourselves from carrying around so much dead weight. Thank You Lord Jesus for the gifts and blessings that are the cherries ontop of an already sweet gifting from You. I Praise Your HOLY, HOLY Name, amen.


These are scriptures I am meditating on in this season of pruning. I pray they bring you nourishment as well.To GOD be the glory ALWAYS, in EVERY way. 
BLESSINGS!!!! Michele

" ..that according to the riches of His glory He may grant you to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:16-19

 " For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace...
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.... 
26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.  
28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."  Romans 8: 3-6, 18, 26-28 

No comments:

Post a Comment