Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's Time...ahhhhhh!

FINALLY!!!!! A day that I didn't HAVE to go anywhere. My husband and the two big boys joined a group of men from our church for the opening day of Dove Season this weekend, so it was just me and the two little ones. It was sooooo quiet and relaxed. I could have cuddled up at any moment and fell asleep with them in my arms. It was a good day to say the least. The weather was beautiful and we did get out in it for a bit, but we intentionally enjoyed just locking ourselves in for rest and relaxation.

Since baseball season and football season began, we are constantly on the GO! And we knew it ahead of time, so I am not complaining and I am not feeling overwhelmed...I just felt ready for rest...a big rest!! One that involved me in my pj's all day!!!!

I was reminded of the verses in Ecclesiastes that say there is a time for everything. So true! As with any thing we face, there must be both "working out" and "resting in." When you are training physically, instructors recommend you trade muscles groups as well as days of working out so that your muscles can rest and rebuild themselves. When you are studying, you must take a break so that your mind can "breathe", soaking in what you've learned, your eyes can rest and get up and walk around as your body needs to switch positions. So, what about spiritually? What about serving? What about ministering to others?

Spiritually, there are plenty of scriptures that mention working out your salvation, study, prepare, put on, be ready, build up...and there are plenty that say Be still, peace, trust, hope, think on, pray, listen...I think there is a balance here too and it would be easy to do one or the other of these excessively. It seems that our culture is an "all or nothing people." It would be easy to fall into the trap of work, serve, read, study, share, tell...work, serve, read, study, share, tell. But when about a Sabbath? What about resting and thinking and waiting and listening? What about being ministered to rather than ministering? Being encouraged rather than encouraging another? What about asking for prayer rather than saying it?

No, I am not saying that it is better to be served and selfish, "it's all about me." Neither are we to work without end. There must be a balance. We should both be eager to pray, encourage, mentor, share, help, give, study, serve as well as receive prayer, encouragement, mentorship, listening, receiving helps and instruction. We should study His Word, and then listen for His instruction. We should worship and pray, and then listen for His movement. We should serve and encourage others, and then be willing to be served and encouraged ourselves.

How long has it been since you sat still before the Lord? In the stillness of these quiet moments, my mind is still, my body is rested and my spirit can only whisper, " Sweet Jesus."

Take time to honestly look where you are at and see if you are balanced. Are you all about others? Are you all about you? Are you doing all the talking with God? Are you even talking to Him anymore, just waiting for Him to prove Himself to you?

I am so thankful that God called me out of my busyness and said to settle in. I wouldn't have probably done it otherwise. Oh, sweet Jesus, my saving Grace.


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, 
a time to plant and a time to uproot,  
a time to kill and a time to heal, 
a time to tear down and a time to build,  
a time to weep and a time to laugh, 
a time to mourn and a time to dance,  
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,  
a time to search and a time to give up, 
a time to keep and a time to throw away,  
a time to tear and a time to mend, 
a time to be silent and a time to speak,  
a time to love and a time to hate, 
a time for war and a time for peace.  
What does the worker gain from his toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on men.  
He has made everything beautiful in its time. What God has done from beginning to end. He has also set eternity in the 
hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom." Ecc 3: 1-11
 

1 comment:

  1. So true. We are so quick to pray and do but not wait and listen. Live the blog and YOU!

    ReplyDelete