Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thorn of my Flesh

God, it hurts so bad.
The pain within burns like a raging fire out of control.
It’s beginning I cannot find and it’s end I cannot see.
God remove this thorn in me.

The source from which it came
I do not know; I admit I was walking aimlessly in the wilderness
This thorn was one of many that I encountered today.
To me, the brush is one of the same.

Lord Jesus, the poison leaking inside me
Is surely going to bring me death
Help me to purify for the thorn consumes my flesh.

I am weak and my body is failing
God, won’t You reach down Your hands of healing?

Have compassion on me in my time of distress.
My pain is increasing along with my fear.
I have tried to cry but there are no tears.
Won’t you come Lord and give me rest?

Forgive me Father for wandering to the wilderness
I left in such a hurry I took no protection or gear.
I suppose I take advantage of the fact that You are always near.

I can only say I am sorry,
As I anxiously sit here, suffering quietly in pain.
I want to scream and yell for the pain is so great.
But I know Father that Your Healing is soon to come.
My kicking and screaming, what good would that have done?

This thorn in me has surely wounded me good.
It’s stinging pain I will not soon forget.
I wait patiently for the cleansing to begin as I recount
How the journey began.

I will not quickly forget this thorn in me
For I do not desire death to visit me once again.
There is much work to be done here that only I can do.
So as You lay Your hands on me, I ask for relief of it’s stinging bite

But if this thorn You choose to leave
May it be a reminder of the anguish my carelessness can be.

Tomorrow, I shall not so quickly run away in haste to the wilderness outside
My careless adventure has taught me well
If in the wilderness I must go,
Protection and gear will ready me so.
Your marked paths I will stay as I walk along
And the Light You have given will guide me carefully home.

For when I fall and thorns dig in
I will not fear the pain again.
With Your guidance and provisions, I will fully prepare
So that my thorn in my side will not take root in there.

I know it is not much
But it is all I have.
I give You all this poisoned flesh.
Only You can take it and cleanse it deep within.

Wash me whiter than snow
You are the Father who’s power and strength all will know.

But if the scars You will to remain,
May the eyes of others hope proclaim
What a careless walk in the wilderness can bring.

My lesson was learned
For wherever I venture, prepared I shall go.
Flesh and spirit flawed, Your love is unwavering.
Your Grace is enough for me.
For this I know.

“I came to you in weakness and fear,
and with much trembling.” I Cor 2:3

“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the LORD to take it away from me.
But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
II Cor 12:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment