Sunday, May 30, 2010

Are you inspired?

A friend of mine got me to thinking about Inspiration...what does it mean? Is it similar to Encouraging? So, I am going to do a little thinking and wondering and see what happens. Mind you, I am NOT a theologyn. I am merely doing this for fun and to learn something new-another opportunity to stretch and discover new truths and insights. I am not worried about being right here, just exploring the thoughts. Let's go!

Definition of Inspiration:

1. A supernatural divine influence on the prophets, apostles, or sacred writers, by which they were qualified to communicate moral or religious truth with authority; a supernatural influence which qualifies men to receive and communicate divine truth; also, the truth communicated.

2. The act of inspiring or breathing in; breath; specif. (Physiol.), the drawing of air into the lungs, accomplished in mammals by elevation of the chest walls and flattening of the diaphragm; the opposite of expiration.

3. According to my Friend: Inspiration is a version of SPIRITOS: breath of God. It's an image of God giving his spirit to man with a breath of air.

Synonyms: Aspiration, Brainchild, Breathing in, Divine guidance, Inhalation, Stirring


Definition of Encourage:
1. Contribute to the progress or growth of;


2. [verb] inspire with confidence; give hope or courage to

Synonyms: promote, advance, boost, further

One thing that immediately stands out to me is that both words are are result of an external force. It is something you receive from another source into your mind, your soul.

If Inspiration is a breath of God, a receiving of divine truth, a qualifying truth, then how have I been inspired?

If Encourage mean to inspire, give hope or courage to, then how have I been encouraged?

When I think of being inspired by someone or something, to me, that goes deeper than just being encouraged. Encouraged seems temporary whereas to be inspired penetrates on deeper levels of mind and soul. Inspiration comes from the heart and soul of another person into yours, thus being the divine truth revealed? When I have been encouraged, I think of an action, motivation, a purposeful intent for you to take action upon the hope and courage you have received. If I have been inspired, I don't imagine the other person purposefully attempting to influence me in the depths of my soul.

Who or what can inspire us? Certainly God, the Holy Creator of all things.

"We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our LORD Jesus Christ. For we know, brothers loved by God, that He has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction." I Thess 1:2-5

There are numerous examples in the Bible of encouragement, lives and parables given to us to motivate and challenge us, giving us hope and courage.

"Judas and Silas, who themselves were prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the brothers." Acts 15:32

"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone." I Thess 5:14

It seems to me that when you are inspired, it is something that changes you on the inside whereas being encouraged means being equipped or able to do something. Inspiration is a noun-being something and encouraged is a verb-doing something.

I have been inspired therefore I am encouraged...we have been inspired and encouraged by something or someone in our lives whether through a victory or a trial. Certainly the wonderful examples and experiences that have happened to me or that I learned from another have inspired and encouraged me in hopes that I may experience it again and/or for myself. The same can be said about the failures, misfortunes, tragedies and mistakes made. We are equally motivated and influenced by both the good and the bad.

God inspires me through His Word-the life of Christ, God's character give inspiration deep with my soul to reflect Him, receiving His truths into my depths. I am then encouraged to do for Him. He also gives us the Holy Spirit to counsel and encourage us to obey or heed warning from for our good. Friends inspire me through their experiences, both good and bad times, as the truth of God's love in their being, in their soul, reaches unknowingly and touches mine. I have read many inspiring stories of those who have endured and yet maintained an inner strength and foundation just by their "being."

This has been interesting and fun to think about and attempt to disect. I cannot help but to think of all the ways I have been encouraged and inspired throughout my life. I had never thought about the different ways we are encouraged...I wonder if I have been a source of inspiration in someone else's life? Have I encouraged another to "do?" In my failures and weaknesses and moreso in victories seen or shared, have I been a source of inspiration? Only God knows.

I am thankful for the people and experiences in my life who have encouraged me to dig further, trust deeper and receive wider. May God infuse His truth into me, so that I may continue to be inspired to search for Him and be filled with His breath so that I may be inspired and encouraged, to be and do for His glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment