Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Alone Time, Together

Sometimes you need a little Sista time but we always need a little alone time. Jesus leads us in example throughout the Scriptures of Sabbath rest, and prayer times both alone and with His disciples. These days it seems nearly impossible to find alone time, between the day's activities and access to enough social media to occupy an entire day. 

There's much to keep up with in world events, and technology is constantly changing. I suppose we are afraid of missing something should we step away from the spotlight for a few minutes, Lord have mercy, a whole day. Then, when we finally do get to that place in our day to take a break, in any amount, we feel guilty and selfish taking time away from all that we could or should be doing.

It’s one thing to do it excessively and to the detriment of your work, home and self, and “running away” from your circumstances is not an option here. I’m referring to a specific moment of aloneness. It may be early morning or late night moments, 10 minutes sitting in the car at the grocery store or parent pick up, or during a lunch hour at the park. 

Maybe you’re able to take a day every month or a weekend once a year. We are all at different places in our life seasons and abilities to get away but what we have in common is the need for purposeful resting alone. Time to clear our minds and be still in our moments with the ultimate goal of worship. 


Our culture doesn’t allow quiet so you must fight for it. We can get apps and alarms and appointments 24/7. We must choose it. I love girlfriend lunches and coffee dates, time out with the family and at the same time, I need free time for just me. It wasn't always that way in my life. This was something I learned the hard way.

After so many years of going and going, never putting myself in my top priority list, I finally broke. My body, mind and soul fatigued out. The strive for perfection, the constant worry of making right choices for my 4 children, serving in my home and at the church, taking care of the big ol house myself, was too much. I didn’t allow myself to ever rest physically, emotionally or spiritually. I lived busy and full, happy and blessed...just very, very stressed. 

The expectations of self were sky high and unattainable. As an encourager, it's funny to me how much grace I was able to extend to others, and not myself. No one had to prove anything to me yet I felt like I had to prove myself to every one, and as an insecure girl, that's a crazy cycle to live in because there never was a point of feeling valid, and so it went. Always striving, never attaining.

December 2008 will forever be a mark of time in my life story. God implemented a forced rest to say the least which I resisted hard in the beginning. During this forced period of unrestful rest of panic and anxiety attacks, I had to learn the discipline of stillness and breathing in grace. Even there in the quiet house, it was loud and suffocating. 

Here in this season, I learned to sit by still waters despite sitting in the darkest of valleys. To feast on the Bread of Life when my body was wanting to reject nourishment and simply quit. When I was still, and the Word of God was pouring into me, grace abounded and love for Peace Himself filled me and revived my soul. As someone who was a giver by nature, I learned how to be a receiver in spirit. 

I wish someone had told me in my younger years how important these moments of alone were to the human soul. Not only to clear the mind and settle the physical body in rest, but in these moments to allow God to pour into us where we have need. Being alone and being still is a sacrifice. It's not enough to turn off the TV while you do laundry, or listen to your audio Bible app while you are getting ready for the day. We need to give ourselves permission to stop. 

Set a timer if you must so your mind can be at peace. The hardest part is the constant nagging impulse to get up and be productive, such a lie from the enemy. There is nothing more productive that a moment of stillness in our heart, mind and soul focused on our Lord. 

Learning to be still gave my body and mind time to heal. These became the precious moments the Lord was able to speak to me where I could hear His whispers. I hadn’t realized how little I actually listened for His voice in my prayer life, especially throughout my day. I've always been a praying girl, asking, sharing, talking to the Lord, but listening was more of waiting for the moment He might send lightening to strike in His discipline towards me and if I could say Amen and nothing happened, I was grateful. Kinda funny to think of it on this side of time and maturity. 

Take time starting today, to practice being still with the Lord. Before you do, make sure however, you have met with Him first in His Word, it is your Conquering Sword and Salvation Helmet to think on the things of the Lord, and not meaningless or taunting thoughts. 

Allow yourself time to listen, don't be afraid and don't feel guilty for this is Holy Ground and God is with you. Throughout the day, set the tone of grace in your home and live it out, with yourself and others. Recall His Word to you that it may overflow as Light in darkness, a Light house for those seeking refuge in stormy seas and surrounding darkness. 

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16
This is why I blog, to encourage and to remember as living stones in my rivers and valleys. To share life journeys Where Faith Is. Life is not lists and chores and accomplishments, striving for perfection and accolades. Our lives are meant for worship and Grace, to reveal the Hope of Salvation in this chaotic world. He is our Rescue here and forever. I certainly don't have many answers, but I know The One Who is The Answer. My prayer is to be a Light, an instrument of praise for Him, for He has done great things and is a fortress that cannot be shaken. He has healed me, praise the Name of Jesus and broke many chains and I believe He can heal you too. Being alone in my daily disciplines, fuels me as much as sipping coffee with a sister over the Word and I would like to think I am a better Wife, Mom, Friend, Woman because of my heart resting in His. We all need to dwell in Him, alone and together. At the end of time, this is all we will have and all we will do as Believers in Jesus...to worship by Grace in the stillness and person of Jesus our Lord. (Although as much as I think we will be standing hands and hearts lifted, there is sure to be some dancing!! Oh I cannot wait!!)  
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Father God, thank You for your amazing Grace. You are more than enough and in Your name, we are strong enough to walk out the day with You in mind and purpose. Holy Spirit, renew our minds in The Words of God and steady and straighten our steps towards righteousness. Forgive us when we busy ourselves all day and are not mindful of You. You are our source of power and peace, thank You. Draw us near to You and keep us in the shelter of Your wings, as we navigate valleys and meadows in this life. Thank You for the period of forced rest but Lord may we listen well to Your voice as our Shepherd and walk graciously in step with You that in our submission and love for You, we follow You and heed Your voice. There is no greater Sacrifice than the One You have poured out. Forgive our petitions for lavish lives and let us desire a life of Love and Hope, with eyes set on Your Kingdom, serving You, giving and receiving that others may know You through the sharing of our faith journey. To You be the glory and honor and adoration, amen.

I love all things worship, but here these are some of my favorite Go To worship songs if you are looking for a place to start:
Be Still by Kari Jobe
Oceans by Hillsong/ Elenyi
It Is Well by Bethel Music
Peace be Still by Lauren Daigle
Come to the Altar by Elevation Worship
What a Beautiful Name by Hillsong
Broken Things by Matthew West
O The Blood by Selah
Hills and Valleys by Tauren Wells 
I Got Saved by Selah






No comments:

Post a Comment