Friday, March 16, 2012


Marking the Way for me to Follow


This week is Spring Break for the kids and we have dear friends who have graciously allowed us to spend time in their vacation home in the mountains. For us “City Folk”, it is just breathtaking every time we go. We LOVE the great outdoors. Unfortunately, we don’t know how to navigate it very well.
The day we arrived, snow sprinkled the landscape. We breathed a sign of relief that the roads were clear for the most part. Our greatest fear was driving a 2 wheel drive, not a 4 wheel drive into winter weathered roads. If we got caught somewhere in the 14 hour drive in snow, how would we make it through? Well, we made it! That first evening, we got all settled in gathering up 6 sets of ski gear for the morning’s trip out on the slopes. It was a glorious clear night. I always forget how absolutely gorgeous it is under the midnight skies. Like diamond-sand tossed high!
Vacation or not, my quiet times with the Lord have become very precious to me and I was actually especially excited to meet with Him over a cup of hot coffee on the porch as I watched Him call the sun to rise over the mountain range!!! I watched as the shadows casted by the moon, became shadows casted by the sun! Glorious and Mysterious!! My alarm went off and I jumped out of bed! It was time. But to my surprise, it was snowing! It obviously had been snowing ALL NIGHT!!! The snow laid a fresh blanket of glowing white powder as far as the eye could see. A different kind of sigh…how will we get out of here now? The home sits on a hillside that is nerve-wracking to navigate in the summer, much less iced and snowed over! The road was invisible to us.
Are we going to have to cancel our nearly $500 worth of non-refundable rentals and lift tickets due to the fact we can’t get there? Oh no. Not sure what to do, we called a friend and neighbor whom we have met on previous trips to give us instruction on whether or not we could make it out , and if so, how! He said, “Absolutely!! You MUST go. People wait for this kind of perfect skiing weather. It’s fresh powder!! You MUST go!! You can make it. I will show you how.”
Our friend and neighbor had no doubt we could do it, and was even willing to show us how. He had driven these roads for over 20 years and was willing to lead the way for us so that we could get to the other side. We were between panic and nervous as we loaded up the kids. The few patches of snow we drove over the day before made us nervous as our car lost traction and skated over the few patches. How in the world were we going to handle driving over freshly laid out snow that blanketed the landscape, our car?!? Trust the one with more knowledge and wisdom. Yep, we were completely trusting the opinion of someone who was wiser to the conditions. We trusted the fact that he had our best interest in mind and would not lead us astray. Should our tires lock up, or breaks fail, it was a loooooong slide down. We were fully aware of all the “what if’s.”
With a deep breath, we loaded the car and pulled out of the driveway. It was one of those times when you don’t want to look but you can’t help not to. Deep breath. Our fearless (and calm, I might add), leader gave us to two words of advice: 1.) Stay in my tracks and 2.) Don’t stop or you will lose traction and surely lose ground. I’m not sure if either of us were actually breathing as we followed him as the tires crunched through the ice. Once you make the decision to go, there was no turning around…literally!! Foot by foot, we successfully tracked in his tracks making it out to the level ground at the base of the hill. Whew!!! We DID do it! We made it!! Just like he said we would!!! He was right!!! Tears of pure JOY overcame tears of fear and I felt myself breathe once again, ahhhh.
We stayed in his tracks AND we didn’t stop! We made it to the slopes in one piece, grateful to be there, having gained an awesome day rather than a day of despair and loss. We gained everything by going! What memories! We trusted and were blessed. We became stronger that day. Our hope was met with gain. Our next trip down that hill was easier, because we had already conquered it! Confidence, hope, trust and faith overcame our fear, doubt and anxiety.
Isn’t this a perfect example of mentoring, and more importantly what Christ has done for us. He has been where we are going…He created the journey for us and will navigate it with us, patiently and joyfully leading us to the other side. He is wiser, all knowing. Cheering us on, He believes we can make it to the other side and He has showed us how. And because He is alive, we have Him to plow the road infront of us still today, leading us safely across the sometimes invisible terrain. Aren’t you glad you have a Friend in Jesus?!? I sure am.
Just as the physical seasons change, so do our spiritual seasons and the road ahead can sometimes become invisible before us. The comfort we have in order to keep moving forward, is to call upon the One Who is wiser, Who loves us and has our best interest in mind, and is familiar with the roads that take us to the other side of our hill. Our God is faithful. Our God is trustworthy. Our God is a God who creates and sustains the seasons. Will we choose to trust Him? Will we head His advice: 1.) Follow Me and 2.) Don’t stop!!
I can’t help but also think of the precious few that have said to me, “Michele, you can do this. You will make it to the other side just fine.” They have showed me how. Their wisdom fueled my hope. They kept me moving when I wanted to stop. Although it is without question that all of our hope and trust is in Christ alone, He does give us each other to encourage and counsel one another in Love’s Name. It is HIS love working through us that gives us the capacity to love others closer to Him. Because we love Him fully, we can love others fully. His love enables us to do great things!
His love comforts and conquerors our fears. Confidence in Him causes us to plow the road unseen, for ourselves and with another. When we finally conqueror the hill, it is with greater assurance that we will cross the next one with greater ease and confidence. When we love, we trust. When we trust, we conquer.

Father God, Great and Mighty are You. All the world is in Your hands. Even though the seasons change, You never do. Thank You Lord for Your faithfulness. Thank You for paving The Way for me to come directly to You. I trust You that You have and will continue to plow the way before me, blocking the fiery darts of Satan as he attempts to derail me of the path of righteousness. Thank You for provisions and power in Your name.
God, give me greater courage to not fear when the path You lead me to is invisible before me. May my faith be strengthened and my confidence increased to keep me moving, inch by inch, foot by foot, following Your lead. Lord, I surrender to You to use whatever amount of ability or gifts You have given to me to encourage and lead others closer to You. I know that if You lead, I will be okay. It is my heart’s desire to follow You, go where You lead and be an encourager to show other’s how to stay in Your tracks. Give me courage to lead with confidence in my ability to hear You clearly and trust You completely. Thank You Lord for sending such awesome leaders into my life. Help me to conqueror the next hill and return the favor and blessing for another. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your heart and testimony. I feel blessed to have someone like you in my life to share with and learn from and lean on. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete