Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lessons on the Slopes

 " For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:" Ecc 3:1

Our family has been graciously blessed to take a week of vacation in the mountains over the Spring Break week. And boy did we need a break!!! I feel like I am finally in a state of calmness that had escaped me the past several months. No one is telling me to "jump, I need you NOW!!" I am loving it. I can hear myself think in longer spans throughout the day and think through things without time constraint and distractions of daily demands flooding my thoughts.

Yesterday was an amazing day! There were several moments God "spoke to me." Each one could be a blog of their own, but I will do my best to highlight and allow God to fill in the blanks for you. Here are a few things He reminded me of:

1. There is more than one way.
We are all created so differently. Having 4 kids, I see it more clearly than I ever have before. Same parents, different people completely!! In our small unit of 6, 2 of us are "hit it head on" kind of people and you always know what they think because they have no problem letting you know. The other 4 are more reserved and cautious about their actions and words.
What was interesting is that though we taught them together, they not only learned differently but they did it differently, Each to their own. One took her "pizza wedge" all the way down straight down the slope while the other chose to zig-zag down. In the end, they both made it down, safely, with their own style...Head on and Gently done.
God did not create robots. You are unique! Let's cheer one another on to go as they are created to go. We all crash and burn sometimes, that's okay. Let's commit to remain faithful and diligent, spurring one another on to the end, in the name of Love.



2. If you want to learn, it will take time, energy, sacrifice and work.
This was my two little ones' (age 7 and 5) to ski. When we arrived, they could barely stand, looking much like Bambi standing for the first time!! It was great!!! Also, a great amount of work. My husband and I gave up our ski time to work with them, painfully at times, cheering, instructing, showing, catching them for hours. Within hours, we were cruising thru the Bunny Hill with ease and found ourselves ready for a longer run. We took them up their first ski lifts which they exited perfectly to my happy surprise, and took down the greens!! WOW!!! Shows you what happens when we come alongside eachother and work together for the common good. I am grateful that God has given me what I consider Hero's in the faith who have come alongside me. It took work and energy and sacrifice for me, but it was true for them also. It's not easy or without sacrifice when we walk thru a valley with someone. It is only God's grace that we can walk it without falling down or out. They are Hero's to me, not that they are super Bible Hero's, but because they allow God to use their hands and feet, in word and deed in the world (lost and saved alike). My growth as a Believer is just as much the "working out" I have done with the Lord as it is the sharpening I have received through others' love poured out on me through Him, cheering, instructing, showing, catching me.




3. When we take our mind off of our self, and focus on something or someone else, we are less likely to fall into temptation cuz we are not looking to satisfy our own thoughts, but another's.
Yes, I was a bit nervous getting back on the skis after MANY years being off of them. The first few runs I could have seen a snowflake make its full decent to the ground, I was going that slow!! LOL!!!! Thoughts of falling flooded my mind. I focused on every cautious turn I made. I was not enjoying this anxiety filled activity, except for when I stopped and enjoyed the views. Could I just please sit all day and only watch?!? Pleeeeease!!!! All I could hear was What if this or that...oh my! UNTIL I took my kids out on the slope.
All of a sudden my focus was on their turns, their enjoyment, their safety. My fear had been replaced with intercession. It was no longer about me and what I wanted. Before I knew it, I was having fun, soaking up their enjoyment. Reminds me of the scripture that says to share in each others joys and sorrows. Mama was having fun!! I wanted them to love it, succeed at it, have fun doing it! It was a pure joy to see the fruit of our labor and be blessed with sharing the victory!!! It was good to get out of my own head! Praying for God to make this so always.


3. Have FUN!!! Think outside the box.
 This was hilarious!! Corey and I were resting in the snow waiting on the big kids to return to our meeting spot and he asked if he could do a somersault...in the snow. I said No at first thinking, What a crazy idea, no way. You don't do that in the snow. But then I wondered, Really....why not!?! I know a "crazy" friend of mine who would be doing it if she was there. God has used her in many ways in my life and one of the ways is to push me outside of my "careful, conservative normal."

4.) The difference a day makes!!
One morning we woke up and snow was a thick blanket across the landscape. By afternoon, the sun had melted the driveway clear! The next morning was just as lovely eventhough no new snow had fallen. Although the snow made more work for us to get out the door and remain outside, all bundled up in layers, times 6 people, we were walking closets!! LOL It was worth it despite all the extra efforts. However, how easy it was later in the week as the snow melted away, to simply get dressed and throw on some shoes and head out the door for the day. It was a good reminder to me of something my counselor used to always have to remind me, This too shall pass. Ecclesiastes 3 reminds us there is a season and time for everything. Thankful for seasons physical and spiritual as they arrive and as they change.

Thank You Lord for teaching us through the seasons!!!! Each one has something of value, even if it is harder. May the exhausting days be met with Your grace. When the days are sunny, God help us to soak it all in. And may the cloudy days cause us to run under Your refuge. Rain or shine, You are faithful Lord God to bring the change of the season. Help us to remember it's about Your calendar, not ours. Keep us from putting You in a finite box which we can logically understand for You are immeasurable!!! And too Father God, never let Satan box us into one our self. May our eyes see Your beauty and grace in every single moment, regardless of the day. Amen!!!

" And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:9-10


1 comment: