Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cleaning My Windows for the Perfect View

 It's my million dollar view this year!!! I have always been a "keep the windows open" kind of girl. I love the sunshine and the fresh air that open windows provide. It refreshes me and awakens me. I could sit and stare outside for hours while reading a book or enjoying a meal by the windows in my home. If you think about it...the most desirable seats at a restaurant or a home are by the water. They are always the most costly, because they provide an amazing view just on the other side.
Living here in the Keys has deepened my love for the outdoors. The water's edge, the lush landscapes, the colorful homes, the endless views, the varying shades of blues in the waters...the cool breezes and oh, the sun rises and sun sets...wow!! God blessed us beyond measure and more than what we deserve to allow us to rent a place with a beautiful view outdoors on the water. I have not closed the window blinds but maybe 3 times for us to watch a movie. Every night and day, they remain open!! Our family spends the majority of our time either out back on the water or inside looking out back at the view. So, you can imagine that in the daily maintenance of housekeeping, cleaning these 4 sets of sliding glass doors is top priority for me. It's our main view. It greatly affects how we see the view outside, and even if we get to!
Between 2 dogs and 12 hands, you can also probably imagine all the fingerprints and smears and smudges that find their impressions on this wall of windows! It's like washing your car and the moment you drive it out of the wash, you hit a mud puddle. Or upon unloading the last of the laundry to it's drawer, someone brings you the bag of clothes they forgot to give you...it never ends. It takes my constant attention to make sure they stay clean and clear because when the sun shines through the glass, every smudge is seen and it distorts and sometimes blocks the view. We must have 10 other windows throughout the house and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have wiped them down, but these doors have been scrubbed, buffed and detailed almost daily to guarantee (best it can be) a crystal clear and unobstructive view of our beautiful, main, million dollar view outside.
I admit there are days I am too busy or too lazy to wipe them down and the view is one of embarrassment, shame, frustration and I feel so guilty for hindering the amazing view that is just on the other side, all because of a choice I have made not to make it a priority to clean them. And when the sun shines in revealing all the white smudges, I want to close the blinds and try to hide the dirt and smears, until later, when I decide to make the time to wipe them down. In hindsight, I find it's much easier and less hurtful to my heart when I suck it up, remember the priority they have in our family's view of the outisde, our million dollar view that connects us to the outside, and I stay ontop of them, keeping them clean.
Well, it had been a few days and I was beginning to feel the guilt and shame for all the dirt and you know it, I got the kids out the door for school and hurried backhand scrubbed and wiped with vengeance to get theses windows back in order and crystal clean once again so that when the sun shined through in what would only be about an hour later, it would reflect the glorious view and my guilt would be no more.
I was scrubbing down the last window, completely out of breath, and the Holy Spirit asked me, "Do you care for me the same?" It was a million dollar question about the million dollar view, of my spirit. I take such care and commitment to make sure my physical view was without blemish, making it a top priority, worthy of my extra time, energy and resources, but how well do I care for my spiritual view? Are the windows to my soul as much of a priority to me? Is my view of God my main view, one worthy of my daily cleaning and care or is He just another one of the windows in my "temple" that occasionally gets wiped down? Am I at times too busy or lazy to clean my heart and mind and allow the dirt and smudges to build up causing my view to become distorted and even blocked? Do I sometimes choose to close the blinds, (only causing me to feel guilt, shame and embarrassment within my heart), so I can avoid having to deal with my sin-smudges for "today", only to know they are still there and must be cleaned up?
Am I zealous to prepare my windows for The "Son" to shine through and reveal to me His glorious view? Is He worth the diligence it takes, the time and commitment and effort, and sometimes even sacrifice it takes to keep my windows clean? Is God my main view or just one of many? Is seeing Him clearly, as my main view important enough to me that I constantly find myself paying attention to the smudges and dirt that accumulate and do my best at keeping myself clean and pure before Him, so that I can see Him without hindrance and here find my greatest enjoyment and pleasure seeing Him?
This was a good reminder for me and I pray it is for you too. We can spend much time, energy and resources keeping our physical world in order and but hardly any for our spiritual world. May we run with endurance to open the blinds we have closed in our hearts, our minds, and our souls, and with a renewed determination, re-prioritize and clean up our internal windows and rid ourselves of all that hinders our glorious view to the beautiful "Son" just outside the window.
Thank You Lord God for forgiving us of our sin. Open our hearts and cleanse us. Rid us from all that hinders us from seeing You clearly and purely. Renew within us a right and pure spirit. Give us a new determination to diligently keep ourselves clean before You so we can see You more clearly. May our heart's eyes continually be drawn to Your glorious view and not any other. Do not let us settle for a distorted view but build in us the fire of Your consuming Fire that refines and purifies our soul for You. Grant us endurance to never settle for less than a clear view of You. You Oh God, are worthy of all our honor and praise. It is our desire to know You intimately and love You purely and serve You diligently. May You be delighted when we bask in the view of Your Son shining down on us. All praise and glory is Yours, amen!!


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." 
Hebrews 12:1-2

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 
 6Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. 7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. 14 Deliver me from blood guiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; 19 then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar."
Psalm 51:1-2, 6-19 

No comments:

Post a Comment