Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Don't Fight Your Battles with Toothpicks

For every trial or crisis I have faced in my own life, I am continually amazed at the graciousness of God. How grateful I am for the Holy Spirit who dwells in me, who intercedes on my behalf when I am like a deer caught in the headlights and find myself frozen, unprepared for what I am facing. 

When one of my greatest crisis hit, I wasn't prepared and I froze. I stood aimlessly and was crushed, not knowing what to do or where to go. How I regret not having the muscle memory of faith, trust, wisdom, knowledge and steadfastness. Had I been more deeply rooted, and if I had known what I know now of God's power, I would have stood with greater confidence in my battle and fought harder, stood taller, endured longer and truly believed He was working out something better, for my good and His glory. But, I didn't. I wasn't prepared.

Thankfully the Lord is gracious and patient. I needed to grow in strength and courage, and had already prepared for me His hands and feet, His hugs and hope. God called out a few of His strong women to come alongside me, and teach me as they interceded for me and led me the Way back towards Him. They had spiritual muscle memory and experience not only in life, but with the Lord that I didn't have but I had always wished for. 

I wanted to be strong and courageous. I wanted to be a warrior woman who never failed or cratered under the weight of the world. I wanted to sing praises even if my heart and mind were shattered. I wanted my heart to bleed for the things of God even if it was scared or broken. But, I hadn't prepared or disciplined myself for it. My Wish List never turned into my To Do List. 

I am so thankful He uses ordinary people in His Word and in my reality to do battle for His Kingdom work. Don't believe the lie that you are the only one fighting battles. Don't think everyone but you is stronger or that no one else faces temptations. We all fall short and no one is perfect. There are seasons for everything and we must be willing servants to be what He needs. Some days we will need to be picked up off the floor and held up and other times, we may be that person who does the heavy lifting. 

But when we find ourselves a little lazy, the enemy pounces on the opportunity to mess with us. Who runs a marathon without training? Who loses 20 lbs without first losing the first 5lbs? We have access to swords but so often we fight with toothpicks. No wonder we feel less than or inadequate.

God orchestrates life in the timeline only He can see. 

He is intentional in placing circumstances and people exactly where they accomplish goals set before us that we can't imagine because it is The Lord who has the Master Plan that leads us back to Him if we are willing to listen and obey. The Lord doesn't pass out toothpicks or use an Escape room to watch us crater under the power of darkness and chaos. As Children of Light ,we have access to The Power that conquers death, moves mountains and breaks the heaviest of chains.

The Lord is faithful. 

When I don't know what's happening, I can trust The One Who does. He leads me when I am lost towards paths of righteousness, beside the still waters. He comforts me and reminds me I am not alone when I am surrounded by the darkness of my pit. He reminds me that I can do all things with Him because He is my strength when I have collapsed. He reminds me there is a plan and that He is greater than any opposition I will ever face as I stare into the face of the enemy. 

I am so thankful for His compassion and grace. He stands by me and equips me for the battles I know are coming and He carries me through the ones I don't. He graciously gives me glimpses into the seeds He is planting. 

When life floods my soul, He is my rescue. When I don't know what the answer is, He reminds me He IS The Answer. He is a faithful God. Oh how I want to return the blessing of being faithful back. For all the things I wish I could be, I am reminded today that I already am all these things, I just need to believe it.

Whatever you are facing today, rest in His love trusting you are not alone. Stand in His strength and face your trials and temptations without fear. Continually prepare yourself by being in His Word, surrounding yourself with other God loving people and taking care of your body physically so it can better support you emotionally and spiritually. 

Know, and accept you are deeply loved, seen and heard. Build those muscles of endurance physically, emotionally and spiritually so you can pick up your sword at battle and leave the toothpicks in the kitchen cabinet where they belong.
Be ready! 


"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle,encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. 
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 
Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. 
Abstain from every form of evil. 
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it."
1 Thess 5:14-24

No comments:

Post a Comment