Saturday, July 25, 2015

Cooking in the kitchen...get the glasses!


I suppose it's just one of the signs you know You're Over 40. I'll be working in the kitchen, getting everything out for making my less than perfect meal, it's true, I own it, don't worry...and I pull out the recipe to begin the challenge of conquering a healthy meal (or sometimes an unhealthy but delicious dessert) but there is a problem...I can't read it. Literally. What has happened to my eyes?!? Does it say preheat to 325 or 375? Is it a tablespoon or teaspoon? How much of a cup? Well, better grab the glasses. Oh, now I can see. But I must also turn on the Light highlighting the directions (and pictures) in The Book. Now the cooking may begin!

Without the right ingredients, measurements, tools, glasses or the light, I probably could have guessed my way through the recipe, and if I got lucky, it may have appeared good enough but I am not so sure it would have tasted good enough. There is a huge difference in a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of salt! 

Can't we just make do with what we have and it be good enough? (I am not talking about about contentment here. That is another blog for another day!) It's when we settle or substitute.

So what makes us settle for attempting just good enough? Although I am sure the list of "reasons" are as long as my grocery list, the most common I feel are: poor time management/rushing/laziness, lack of preparation, prideful attitudes, low expectations, overloading our mind/busyness, substituting right ingredients for the wrong ones, using the wrong tools. Why do we settle when what we really hope for is excellence? And why do we get mad when things don't turn out how we wished or imagined?!? Oh my! Who to blame?! Surely not ourself?! I mean, the kids...our spouse....the schedule...the phone calls...the neighbor...the news...if they weren't so needy, it would have been better right?! The famous Blame Game! It's nothing new...read Genesis!

I'm afraid we do the same thing in our spiritual walk. We settle for good enough. But why when what we want is excellence?! For all the reasons we named above: poor time management, rushing or being lazy, pridefulness, low expectations, overloaded minds, hearts or schedules, substituting for the real thing, not adequately preparing...and on the list goes. And we wonder why we don't feel God, or hear His voice, see Him move in our lives. We want to blame the kids...the spouse....the schedule...the work...the schools...the church...the neighbor...the barking neighborhood dog...the bad hair day....everyone but ourselves. I know, I feel the sting too. Ouch! 

I actually am over 40 and my eyes are getting fuzzy. Yep, time for another eye check up for sure. I have done what I can to guess my best when I can't see something clearly and the results have proven so...barely good enough...or complete failure. This has been true for me spiritually too, settling for good enough, often resulting in complete failure....but why when what I want is excellence...to feel God, hear His voice, see Him move? Well, I know who is to blame: Me. Only me. 

The Holy Spirit is like my much needed glasses, making everything clear...crystal clear so I don't have to guess. Jesus is the Light that lights the Way/Directions in dark spaces. I have everything I need to walk in excellence, serving, giving and loving the Lord and others. Perfect? No. Southern Living or Pinterest Perfection? Nope. But with all my heart, soul and mind, it is my desire to love Him with all I am, to be prepared and equipped for whatever He asks of me. How could I give Him less than that? He gave His all for me. 

God has prepared a Way for us to walk this life in excellence. There is no substitute for Him. Aren't you thankful God doesn't settle for good enough? He is not a good enough God. He is more than enough! Our God graciously gave us His One and Only Perfect Son, Christ Jesus and His Spirit to lead us and guide us along the way of excellence, to prosper us, for our good and His glory! We don't have to guess our way through life and we don't have to settle. 

God, thank You for giving me all I need to live a life of excellence. While I know that to be true, please forgive me when I am lazy or rushed, unprepared or selfish. I know there are days I don't feel 100%, but Lord, help me accomplish with excellence all that You have called me to. Don't let me be satisfied with less than. I know You aren't. Let me see You clearly. Let me feel Your movement around me. Show me daily Your Way. Help me to walk in the path of Your Light and keep my feet from walking into darkness. 

God, wake me to meet with You and give You my first. Draw me back into Your Word. Help me prepare myself to hear You. Help me teach my children by living it out what walking with You looks like every day. May my life-walk outrun my mouth. 

God, I desire excellence for myself, my family, for others, please lead us towards You, prepare us and equip us, removing all our excuses, all that hinders and quenches the Spirit You have blessed us with. Bless Your Perfect Name, Holy God, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment